Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default swing set options

I want to build a swing set at home for my daughter. I can get metal tubing and pipe from the shop I work for but not sure which direction to go. A guy at work suggested a square tubing top rail with pipe legs and cross bar. I was debating an all square tubing frame, but have never seen one and wasn't sure how it would look. Any suggestions?

Why not wood ?
    Miller Bobcat 225NT onan
    Millermatic 211
    Spoolmate 100
    (Retapped to fit regular mig tips)
    Work better & less parts to stock.
    Miller 130xp
    T/A Dragster 85 (portability 11 pounds)
    Oxygen/Acetylene torch set 50'
    2. 4-1/2" grinders
    1. 9" grinder
    14" Makita chop saw
    1/2" Aircat impact gun 900#

Default swing set options

I built mine out of new schedule 40 pipe, 2 3/8". I welded pendulums for 3 swings and a swivel joint for rope swing. Mine wound up being 20' wide and ~9' tall. It was built in pieces and bolts together. If i had a do over it would be 2 7/8" pipe. You should be careful using drill stem of unknown lifecycle. Hardest part is fabricating A frames and setting in concrete.

Quote Originally Posted by eecervantes83 View Post
    Why not wood ?
    Because this is a WELDING forum. Wood welding rods are VERY expensive when you can find them.

I made my swing with 5" square tube with 3 posts that are plumb and welded a tube across the top each bay has 2 swings and with 2 bays I have a total of 4 swings.

My cross bar is approximately 15' off the ground so I have the baddest swing around.
    Ive never seen one as big as mine.

However, If I was doing it all over again I would have kept it closer to about 11 or 12', I didn't realize that it would take so much effort to swing to the top so that's my advise,
    Bigger isn't always better.

We made a gantry with 2'' and 2 1/2'' schedule 40. The 2 1/2 '' was used for the corners and the 2'' slid inside. Had nuts welded in 2 1/2'' to hold 2'' legs and horizontal top. Worked great. The kids grow so fast that you can then recycle it for a gantry.
    http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...+set&FORM=IGRE

http://www.backyardcity.com/Swing-Se...me-Fitting.htm

http://www.backyardcity.com/Swing-Se...me-Fitting.htm

http://www.backyardcity.com/Swing-Se...Commercial.htm

Above is similar to what we did.

My wife bought a tubing one from Walmart, still took some effort to put together, I didn't cement it, move it to mow. We got a big swing from a tree in another yard, it was to make the wife happy. I had considered other things but just didn't find anything that worked out. They use it a little, 20 mins at a shot a couple times a week, they get bored and move on.