Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Is there a difference between an M-10 and an M100 MIG gun?

A full afternoon of searching has got me nowhere with this question so its time to turn to the wise voices of experience.

I have a MM-140AS that I'm getting ready to consign to Craigslist. I'm also going to order an MM-211AS to replace it. So for at least a while I'll have both machines

My 140, which I've had for a couple of years has the original M10 gun with it. I notice that Miller now ships it's smaller MIG units with the M100 gun. Naturally because I expect to have both in hand at the same time I'd like to keep the better gun and let the other go with the sale of the 140. The thing is I don't know that there is any difference between them other that one has a red trigger and the other's is blue. I suppose that given a choice I'd pick blue over red but is there really any difference between the two?
    Last edited by 1_old_man; 01-15-2014 at 06:28 PM. Reason: Correction of inexcusable grammatical errors

Their specs seem to be the same..

M10
    H-10/M-10 Feeds .023 To .045 in (0.6 To 1.1 mm) Hard Or Flux Cored WiresDuty Cycle Rating:100%: 100 A With CO
    2 Shielding Gas60%: 100 A With Mixed GasesWeight With 10 ft (3.0 m) Power Cable: 3.2 lb (1.5 kg)
    Identified With No Diamonds On Power Cable

http://www.millerwelds.com/om/o1035f_mil.pdf

M100
    M-100 Feeds .023 To .045 in. (0.6 To 1.1 mm) Hard Or Flux Cored WiresDuty Cycle Rating:100%: 100 A With CO
    2 Shielding Gas60%: 100 A With Mixed Gases
    Weight With 10 ft (3 m) Power Cable: 3.5 lb (1.6 kg)

http://www.millerwelds.com/om/o246379a_mil.pdf
    Last edited by H80N; 01-15-2014 at 04:30 PM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

Cool

Same gun new number...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Thumbs up Always that nagging doubt.

Thanks much for your response. Yep, they sure look the same to me. And then I notice that little third of a pound in the weights of the two. Basically we've got a rubber tube with the liner and a few wires in there. They both use the same liner, so it's gotta be either a heavier rubber tube (which might be indicative of higher quality, or might not) or heavier wires in there. I don't think Miller would have added any weight if it were avoidable and so although I don't have more than a shred of a reason to say this I'm gonna guess that they may have beefed up the ampacity of the wires just a tad in the more recent guns. Anyway, that's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

Once again, thank you very much for taking the time and effort to provide an actual responsive response; "Rara Avis" these days and always appreciated.