Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Dynasty 200 DX - Convince me!

I'm considering a TIG welder in the 200 to 250A range.

The Dynasty 200 DX fits that bill, but at more than twice the price of other TIG welders with the same features, I need convincing by those telling me why from a technical point of view, the Dynasty is better made.

First of all, where (in detail) is the welder made? I'm not talking about the discreet components because they have been made off-shore by all major electronics manufacturers for ages. I'm talking about the boards, the transformers...the major components. Miller was vague on this in an e-mail to me the other week.

Where is the foot pedal made? In another manufacturer's forum, some members have had issues with belts coming off the cog on their foot pedal. I mean, its a simple low tech item like a foot pedal...how can it not work reliably? Even as a hobbyist not making my living with my equipment, I do not have any patience for tools that do not work....they get flung through the garage door opening at warp speed.

So convince me. I'd like to hear from owners who use this welder on a daily basis at work. I already have an expert welder who uses a Dynasty 700 on a daily basis where I used to work giving me tips. He also pointed out Everlast and Longevity welders to me, so that has me wondering.

Quote Originally Posted by In My Garage View Post
    I'm considering a TIG welder in the 200 to 250A range.

The Dynasty 200 DX fits that bill, but at more than twice the price of other TIG welders with the same features, I need convincing by those telling me why from a technical point of view, the Dynasty is better made.

First of all, where (in detail) is the welder made? I'm not talking about the discreet components because they have been made off-shore by all major electronics manufacturers for ages. I'm talking about the boards, the transformers...the major components. Miller was vague on this in an e-mail to me the other week.

Where is the foot pedal made? In another manufacturer's forum, some members have had issues with belts coming off the cog on their foot pedal. I mean, its a simple low tech item like a foot pedal...how can it not work reliably? Even as a hobbyist not making my living with my equipment, I do not have any patience for tools that do not work....they get flung through the garage door opening at warp speed.

So convince me. I'd like to hear from owners who use this welder on a daily basis at work. I already have an expert welder who uses a Dynasty 700 on a daily basis where I used to work giving me tips. He also pointed out Everlast and Longevity welders to me, so that has me wondering.
    A Zillion threads on this over the last 10 or so years...

do some searching and be prepared for a LOT of reading ...
    you shall find your answer...

The Dynasties are the finest TIG machines I have ever used and are continually evolving and improving..

long term track record means a lot to those of us who depend on our tools..

and yes... quality costs more.. not only the build quality and technology of the machine but the quality of the organization that stands behind it and support network as well

whether it is worth it for you is a question that only you can answer

quality tools can be a substantial investment..

BTW... they are built in Appleton, Wisconson...

Last edited by H80N; 01-15-2014 at 10:10 AM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

Quote Originally Posted by H80N View Post
    quality tools can be a substantial investment..
    I know. I have been using a very expensive name brand set of mechanics hand tools since 1975 (and I do not make a living with them as a hobbyist)...no names because I do not want to start a this is better than that debate. No regrets!

I will search and see what I come up with. The trouble is, most are very hesitant to post anything negative (although factual) on forums.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by H80N View Post
    BTW... they are built in Appleton, Wisconson...
    So are my mechanics hand tools...well at least head office is in Wisconsin.

That is what Miller related to me although they did say some of their items are off shore. As mentioned, they were vague.

Appleton...know it well having been to the EAA Fly-In in Oshkosh many times.

One other thing that you might take into consideration is resale value...

even if you never plan on selling.. used prices are a pretty good indicator as to how something may be regarded...

used Dynasty 200DX TIG machines hold their value very well... with several year old machines regularly bringing near new prices and substantially more than new offshore brands..

must be some reason for that...

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

Re the foot pedal, I bought an SSC pedal (for my Dynasty) after reading lots of forum posts suggesting they're hard to beat. Made in USA.

I know. I have been using a very expensive name brand set of mechanics hand tools since 1975 (and I do not make a living with them as a hobbyist)...no names because I do not want to start a this is better than that debate. No regrets!

I will search and see what I come up with. The trouble is, most are very hesitant to post anything negative (although factual) on forums.

Thanks!
    Ive found just the opposite. For every one positive post - there are 10 complaining. Very few spend time expressing their happiness with a product

Although I have not used the Everlasting Longevitidal machines, I have used Linclone and ThermalArc inverter tigs that use the same Euro interface and let me tell you the Dynasty 200DX is simple. In fact the default parameters and Blue Lightning settings are all but spot on. The clearance effect that the Chinese stuff uses is still a mystery to me. Actually yes I did weld once with a Longevitude at SoCal Weld-O-Rama, that lasted about 5 minutes before the start circuit failed.
    Couple that with the unrivaled support I get from Miller and my LWS. Mail-Order Mayhem is not something I relish with my production equipment.

My personal Dynasty200DX is mounted to a dolly that I can load in my Subaru Truck myself, and when unloaded wheel into a hospital elevator and do SS repair on any floor plugged into house-current. I can also weld light Alum. I have been in clean rooms, restaurants, defense plants, and other places that require portable welding. Then plug into 230 volts at work, or my generator at home and weld full tilt.

A simple push of the polarity button gets you either to AC or DC, and since it has last use memory, you don't have to reset the thing every time you power it up. Did I forget to mention Blue Lightning arc start with tungsten size for choice of start force, pre-programed for you in advance for your welding pleasure????
    Nothing welded, Nothing gained

Miller Dynasty700DX
    3 ea. Miller Dynasty350DX
    Miller Dynasty200DX
    ThermalArc 400 GTSW
    MillerMatic350P
    MillerMatic200 with spoolgun
    MKCobraMig260
    Lincoln SP-170T
    Linde UCC305 (sold 2011)
    Hypertherm 1250
    Hypertherm 800
    PlasmaCam CNC cutter
    Fadal Toolroom CNC Mill
    SiberHegner CNC Mill
    2 ea. Bridgeport
    LeBlond 15" Lathe
    Haberle 18" Cold Saw
    Doringer 14" Cold Saw
    6 foot x 12 foot Mojave granite

Use one for five minutes. You'll take it home with you.
    =======================
    Miller 211 AutoSet
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 42

"The Sleep of Reason Produces Monsters"
    Francisco Goya

Thanks!
    i'll post negative things about any brand that has problems. The 200DX really has none. There are minor preventative maintainance things that have to be done though, but that applys to all machines. A comparision would be the Miller 200 dx or the Thermal arc (Tweco) 201