Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default tired thunderbolt

lately i have had to skip the conveinience of using my 225/150 ac dc stick welder which is at the table, to go and unroll the leads on the dialarc 250, i use the buzz box on little/small work. problem is that each time a scratch a rod, it will or want to stick. mostly with the 3/32 size, up into the higher heat range for 1/8 it is ok. the machine is about 15 years old, this is a new issue with this welder, it has worked fine since i bought it. i have good leads, good connections on both leads, good power supply, i have cleaned the inside and adjusted it as instructed by the manual. is the old girl getting tired or am i missing something else, that i can do to help her out. thanks

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by kevin View Post
    problem is that each time a scratch a rod, it will or want to stick. mostly with the 3/32 size, up into the higher heat range for 1/8 it is ok
    So your electrode holder is in good shape too? Mine was doing the same thing until i noticed the holder was wore a little causing the rod to move a little and wanting to stick. A fresh holder cured the problem...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

hmmmm, thats the only thing that is in some what, lousy condition, its the original, clamp type, i had a twisty on it but moved it to another welder. i wonder why, it makes good contact, mayby its all burnt up inside the metal, causing execessive resistance

here goes a big thank you to bob, for suggesting changing out the stinger. the stinger that i was using was the original clamp type, it is in ok condition, the brass inserts in the clamp are in need of maintainance, but they are solid and tight, i assumed that this stinger should weld good, it didnt, i know this because, i put on an old bernard twister, 300a rated, this stinger is rough, the brass is good but the insulation is aweful, after putting it on and electrical tapeing it together, i noticed that the sticking rod delima has dissapeared, thank you bob for the heads up

And today I learned something from someone elses question. Thanks.
    Who do you call when the lawmakers ignore the law?

Miller AC/DC Thunderbolt 225
    Miller 180 w/Autoset
    Old cutting torch on LPG

you will learn alot if you chose to stay here and get involved

glad you found the issue,I have an old national farm and shop ac/dc, thunderbolt in a red skin,was national welders house brand,bought it in 84 and have used and abused since with no problems.