Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default anyone run pre/post flow on MM252 for steel?

Well I bought a Q size tank of Stargold C25 get home hook it up and...1600lbs; doesn't seem right. After a phone call to Manager confirmed should be 2200lbs. WT...

Will need to return as empty and will get a full one.

No way no how to get a 90/10 or 85/15 mix in this size tank.

that drives me nuts when you get a short bottle, i am over an hour to my lws, i go ape when i get shorts, i have a few small bottles kicking around, they cost about the same to fill as the 375 cu ft bottles, those small bottles are for the home owner/shop type of customer and they price it as so, i know it sucks to pay for leases, but it makes up on the price of gas

forgot, ed craig, read his work, very impressive

eric, what about an S or K tank? That little one will only get you maybe 4 hours of "trigger time", maybe you're not as loaded up with projects as I am? I have one tank that small, use it just in case the bigger ones go dry on a long weekend. Kevin's right, most LWS's charge almost as much to fill a "runt" as the bigger ones... Steve

(Same thing with wire - last spool I bought was the Lincoln .035, in a 44 pound 12" metal spool - it was almost a buck cheaper per pound than the 33 pounders )

I'll say this, if you work in any shop that is pinching pennies and trying to make a profit they are not stick welding. I love the smell of 7018 and use it here and there still but there are really only one or two uses for stick. The main use is ASME pipe welding where it is required(mainly for risk of gas coverage with mig/tig in the field I would assume). The other areas would be structural on skyscrapers where wind is too much of a risk as well. I believe gasless flux core wire can be used in most applications now though. For me personally the only time I justify stick at my work is when doing a repair and it is virtually impossible to clean the root out perfectly and the weld refuses to lose all porosity do to small junk/rust/contamination when welding with wire. I will then put just the root in with 7018. The other time would be if a field mechanic is doing a small repair(under 20 minutes or so) where it doesn't justify setting up the suitcase. Now, on to what I find to be a good functional setup for most fab shops. 3/16" and bigger is almost always a gas shielded flux core wire(I use .045" Outershield Elite from Lincoln but there is an .035" outershield 71m available and if you do mostly big stuff 1/16, 3/32, 3/16 and even 7/32 wires are available I believe). I feel .045" is optimal and I believe it actually has a higher deposition rate in it's highest speed. Either way, when I use gas shielded flux core it's almost ALWAYS CO2. I have used c25(75/25) and technically the tensile strength is higher but with co2 the ductility is better. This means that with co2 you are less prone to cracking. I have welded plenty of buckets this way with c25 and when you work for large companies that use a pc400 or bigger for a hammer yet they have a bucket installed the weakest link breaks. I have only ever had adaptors/shanks break with 75/25.....never with co2. I am not saying all of mine did, but whenever a shank weld broke whether it was mine or some elses it was welded with 75/25. Rarely did I ever see any broken co2 or 7018 stuff. Stick is just a slow, painful process and there is a reason no manufacturers still use it(do you see any cat parts from the factory welded with stick?). I do see the people that don't "trust" flux core and weld the "important" stuff with 7018 but at the same time these are usually the guys that insist on doing a 100% beverl on a 1/2" plate, welded to a 3/4" plate and then a 1/2" weld to hold that 3/4" plate to a 1/4" tube.....they don't know what they are doing. I see it at my work, I see it online. co2 has a bad reputation but in reality when you get a parameter guideline from the consumable manufacturer and set it up right it leaves probably the prettiest bead around and is EXCELLENT for vertical and overhead. Sorry for being long winded but you can't be afraid to try the new. Why not have a seperate , smaller mm210 or 211 around for your sheet metal work? Dave

"Why not have a seperate , smaller mm210 or 211 around for your sheet metal work?"

Dave, that's where I would like to be eventually - There are times (a LOT) when I wish I'd kept my 211 when I bought the 252. Only down thing about retirement is my "toy budget" - takehome is right at HALF what it was before I retired.

Space has to be my next priority, too many of the larger toys sit outside - not good for them, not good for ME especially when I need to work on 'em. That's why this summer I'll be adding 32' x 60' to my main shop. Still gotta cut about 50 yards of material out of one corner of the pad, already moved about 125 yards before the rain (read slimy gumbo clay crap) stopped me.

So for now, I'm trying to get the most out of the dual setup on the 252 - since I'm not interested in aluminum ATM, I figure putting .030 hard wire in the 30A and (after I use up about 40 pounds of the spool of .035 in the machine) going to .045 Outershield/CO2 on the main gun should be a fair compromise. Dual running gear lets me use whatever gas I want for each.

As pointed out, for the dirty stuff there's still 5P or 7018 stick... Steve
    Last edited by BukitCase; 01-19-2014 at 11:39 AM.

Biggest I can go (due to workbench height) is 41". I want to store the welder underneath the work bench.

The Q tank is 31" plus valve and reg/flowmeter.

Plus I can purchase this tank.

I think 4 hrs of trigger time should last me at least a yr as I rarely continuously weld for more than a few minutes.
    Last edited by ericher69; 01-19-2014 at 07:03 PM.

hi men, back at ya, another day of snow clean up. i am commenting on jerseys say on soft wire with co2, it definately has replaced stick in todays industries, i use alot of stick, but i am a small 1 man repair shop, alot different than large fab shops, in the 70,s i worked in calif in the big fab shop enviroument, soft wire and co2 were the rule, in the 80,s i was up in maine welding in the ship yards, 7018 is king on the out side of the ship, especially butts but the soft wire with co2 was coming into play around that time. for a hobby guy or small pro, flux core can be more than one would need on a usual basis, if i was to get one bucket after the other, each day, i would invest in it, but then i would need to build a bigger shop to keep the jobs out from the wind, at 61, putting up a new structure to get more work, really sounds like, way too much work

"putting up a new structure to get more work, really sounds like, way too much work"

Kevin, you're right - I'm 68, so I'm "putting up a new structure to get more PLAY "- it's a whole different dynamic

Eric, sounds like the small tank is fine for you - I've used that much in a day or two, my main c25 tank is a 200, the backup is an 80 - the older you get, the less time you think you have, so I'm "gettin' it while the gettin' is good"... Steve

Steve

Good for you!

I will charge accordingly to compensate for the more expensive gas!

It's mostly for my/family use but I do get co workers wanting small jobs done that big shops will not touch.

They don't mind paying if it means having it done sooner than later