Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default anyone run pre/post flow on MM252 for steel?

Any good reason to run pre/post flow with 0.035 wire and 75/25 gas for mild steel? Or am I just wasting gas?

Currently have 0.5 pre flow and 2 sec post flow

Thanks

Anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by ericher69 View Post
    Anyone?
    i use it on mine at work. figure it keeps the filler from oxygen contamination while it's still glowing when you let off the trigger. i use 0.2 for preflow and i think you want 10 seconds of postflow per every 100 amps. this might be completely wrong, but it's what i do.

I use both for Tig but only post on Mig.
    I don't like any delay on my pre/ when I hit trigger I want arc. I use a little post 2-sec. that keeps gas over puddle if I pause for a sec or two to let puddle cool if wide gap & filling or stitching etc. but I don't like any delay in my pre. And in every day welding when let off trigger I'm normally moving on anyway & just blow gas into the air.

Quote Originally Posted by gnforge View Post
    I use both for Tig but only post on Mig.
    I don't like any delay on my pre/ when I hit trigger I want arc. I use a little post 2-sec. that keeps gas over puddle if I pause for a sec or two to let puddle cool if wide gap & filling or stitching etc. but I don't like any delay in my pre. And in every day welding when let off trigger I'm normally moving on anyway & just blow gas into the air.
    I must say even with my 0.5sec preflow it did take a little while to get used to.

I still forget to pause when in a hurry with the post at times.

ive usea a mm200 for over 25 years, no pre/post option on the 200, recently i purchased a 252, by all means, it is not a waste of gas, most people waste more gas by using too high of a pressure, i run about 12 lbs with no issues, always have been around 12, i will up it to 15 if i see the need, while on the topic of gas, ditch the 25/75 when empty, get 84/16, 85/15, what ever is available, then you can spray weld with the 252

Quote Originally Posted by kevin View Post
    ive usea a mm200 for over 25 years, no pre/post option on the 200, recently i purchased a 252, by all means, it is not a waste of gas, most people waste more gas by using too high of a pressure, i run about 12 lbs with no issues, always have been around 12, i will up it to 15 if i see the need, while on the topic of gas, ditch the 25/75 when empty, get 84/16, 85/15, what ever is available, then you can spray weld with the 252
    I was considering something else than 25/75 but have heard unfavorable things about the bead in short circuit with gases containing oxygen.

Also that I would be wasting money using a gas for spray when I mainly do short circuit.

Please elaborate or give me your thoughts on this

Thanks

I use .5 sec. pre and 3 sec. post - it took a while to get used to the pre, but I like being able to tap the trigger and check what the flow rate is set for, WITHOUT having to grab the cutters and trim off wire every time. The post flow pretty much takes the color out of the weld before it's done, just seems like a good idea. (I guess the word police don't like my usual term for cutters, had to replace a bunch of ****'s :=)

Spray - done it once, it was fun but from what I've read it's not good for out of position or thin stuff, BOTH of which I do a LOT. My LWS guy suggested dual shield wire instead, don't need a second bottle and it's good for all position like regular hard wire... Steve

dual shield is very expensive compared to hard wire. the gas used to spray is almost the same as 75/25, it 85/15, no oxygen in the mix, and it is about the same price, the only difference is the ratio of argon to co2.since you have a 252, which has more balls than most people need, why not feed it the gas that can spray or less exciting go in globular transfer, these processes are stretched with the common 75/25. the suppliers will tell you all kinds of things about other mix,s, other than 75/25, because, most dont, or wont stock the sprayable gas,s. lets say you get the 85/25, and you dont weld real hot, you wont be able to tell the difference between the 2 gas,s. all i am trying to say is, since you have a hot rod, feed her the hi test

Kevin,

You recommend 85/15 for spray?

I will call around today to see if I can get some in the smaller cylinders.