Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default need help with set up on dynasty 350

I just got a new dynasty this week after using the old analog synchrowave 250 since I started welding aluminum this thing is blowing my mind. I weld mostly anodized aluminum schedule 40 pipe. No. 7 cup .125 cieriated tungsten. 60% uhp helium 40% uhp argon. At about 250 amps and I pulse the pedal. I've messed with all kinds of settings and can't seem to get it the same as the old 250. I also can't even get a good arc start. With it on hf start I still need to lift arc to get it going. Right now my settings on the new 350:
    AC hf start
    250 amps ep/en
    Squarewave
    70hertz frequency
    40% balance
    With 1/8th cieriated tungsten properly prepped for no good reason cause it is immediately ruined.
    I also dont fully understand the ep/en stuff
    Any advice or personal settings would be apreciated

For starters, go into Advanced Functions (press and hold the Amp button + press Dig) and set your tungsten size on .125 for AC. You won't get good HF starts without it matching your tungsten.

Next, He/Argon mix isn't needed on these inverter machines, use pure Argon.
    Dynasty 350
    Bobcat 250
    Maxstar 150S
    Titanium 9400
    Purox O/A
    Cutmaster 42

There's a "sticky", probably answers all your questions. http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...ocesses-Set-Up

Start reading.
    Obviously, I'm just a hack-artist, you shouldn't be listening to anything I say .....

Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

Default 350 anodize weld setup

Quote Originally Posted by rickybobby View Post
    I just got a new dynasty this week after using the old analog synchrowave 250 since I started welding aluminum this thing is blowing my mind.
    Right now my settings on the new 350:

40% balance
    With 1/8th cieriated tungsten properly prepped for no good reason cause it is immediately ruined.
    Any advice or personal settings would be apreciated
    40% balance

.......40% balance setting on the dynasty control is good reason 'why?' it's immediately ruined.
    Get up to at least 60%.

Miller's setup cheat sheet helps http://www.millerwelds.com/pdf/DynastyQuickRef.pdf
    along with printing out a looseleaf binder of the some 44 pages of setup
    instructions, with pages for your own notes.

For optimum performance--just forget everything you thought you knew about
    setting up a tranny, study the miller setup videos and manual and practice setting up--getting in/out and around on the setup menu. This can be an exercise for the first 2-3 months. Every experienced tigger who's transitioned to a dynasty has gone thru this learning curve; which can continue on and on
    since the machine has almost infinite amount of settings.

I've tried just straight argon but this polished anodized pipe really needs some helium. I noticed it didn't need as much like the sychrowaves. I initially started with 75% balance and 120htz but no matter how low or high I set the frequency it was like welding dirt. I know 40% sounds ridiculous but its working better for me this way. I've reversed the gas ratio and my en is 300 ep 200 @ 75hertz. The weld is passable but I guess the grey band tungsten isn't what I need because I have to lift arc or scuff the ball before it'll arc. Either way a Miller rep is coming next week for a crash course since my boss somehow has no idea what I'm talking about. I'm just impatient. I've got 5 years welding and was never really taught anything. Learned what I know on my own and still doing so. I appreciate the advice and the links yall.

You might want to use the bump method. I work with anodized aluminum all day. They sell a button that you put right on you torch. Look up Mr. Tig on you tube, he is a great help.also try lanthenated tungston 2% keeps a good sharp point on the end. 220 amps EN,65%balance, freq. 120-150

Default "I'm just impatient"

To repeat what I said before, forget everything you 'think' you know about AC AL tig setup on a tranny or simple inverter. The 350 is an entirely different animal. Using settings that worked with old machines doesn't get the same results. Using settings impossible to get with old machines can get stunning results.

Quote Originally Posted by rickybobby View Post
    I've tried just straight argon but this polished anodized pipe really needs some helium. I noticed it didn't need as much like the sychrowaves.
    ****that's what others have noted. I think that a 350 can do adequate work without any He--if one tailors the arc. The 350 allows for arc focusing and tailoring that is orders beyond that on a tranny or plain inverter. This is a BIGGIE, which takes anybody hours & hours of bench time to play with different settings.

I initially started with 75% balance and 120htz but no matter how low or high I set the frequency it was like welding dirt. I know 40% sounds ridiculous but its working better for me this way. I've reversed the gas ratio and my en is 300 ep 200 @ 75hertz.
    *****that 2 page quick reference setup sheet I linked to in previous post would REALLY HELP YOU begin to get a little handle on AC AL setup, since you're all over the map on setup, don't realize just how hot and effective a focused arc is.....and apparently just can't or won't take the time to LOOK at the 2 pager, let alone the 44 pages of setup routines.

The weld is passable but I guess the grey band tungsten isn't what I need because I have to lift arc or scuff the ball before it'll arc.
    ***yup, Lanthiated will hold a point better--but you're setup to ball big time.....and now you wonder why you can't get an HF start?? That point allows easy starts and the arc focusing. The blunt or balled up end doesn't allow arc focusing and makes an HF start--poorly.

Either way a Miller rep is coming next week for a crash course since my boss somehow has no idea what I'm talking about.
    *****factory rep's (as also shown in their instruction videos) are good at showing the very basic items. On advanced setups, they generally are clueless. To help make best use of his time, suggest you consider learning the menu, sub menus, sub-sub menus, how to get in and out of them. That takes rote practice time and repetition.

I'm just impatient. I've got 5 years welding and was never really taught anything. Learned what I know on my own and still doing so.
    ***the quicker you can pay some attention to all these little items,
    the sooner you'll get farther down the road.

I appreciate the advice and the links yall.
    **as others have asked, are you bump welding the puddle?

It would be nice to have the bench time to really fine tune it but if my boss doesn't see product goin out he's pissed. Its ridiculous I know but it ain't my company. I have to mess with it on my breaks and before I clock in. I can't open the link on my phone I'm guessing cause its a pdf file but will try to get it goin in the office in the morning. Ill have to wait til monday to get tungsten anyhow.
    I don't use the bump method like mr. Tig did in that video. I seen that awhile back. I use foot pedals on all our machines and kinda pulse/bump with that. Definitely saves time. The little bit of helium helps it burn a little faster as well.

It would be nice to have the bench time to really fine tune it but if my boss doesn't see product goin out he's pissed. Its ridiculous I know but it ain't my company. I have to mess with it on my breaks and before I clock in. I can't open the link on my phone I'm guessing cause its a pdf file but will try to get it goin in the office in the morning. Ill have to wait til monday to get tungsten anyhow.
    I don't use the bump method like mr. Tig did in that video. I seen that awhile back. I use foot pedals on all our machines and kinda pulse/bump with that. Definitely saves time. The little bit of helium helps it burn a little faster as well.

I assume you did this to program #1?

Why do you think you need that much helium? From what I see you have thoroughly compromised that program. Now don't fret, I did the same and my Miller rep had to reset the machine to default settings again so I could start over.

First off, why don't you just run straight argon off the default program say #2? Pull your freq down to 100, and set your start to 1/8, or 5/32, or even 3/16 diameter tungsten to get that burst of HF?

Again your new Dynasty does not need that much helium and the Miller engineers programed AC pretty close. You really went off kilter.

Forget messing with En/EP for now. En is arc going to metal. EP is arc coming back at tungsten. The anodize coating will clean better with Ep/En the same. You may only want to drop the EP when you go to thicker alum and want to save the tungsten. Keep your balance at no less than 60%. I imagine you are trying to lift of that anodize but the tungsten will hate you. Schedule 40 alum pipe is just what the engineers gave you in the default settings.
    Last edited by shovelon; 01-09-2014 at 11:23 PM.
    Nothing welded, Nothing gained

Miller Dynasty700DX
    3 ea. Miller Dynasty350DX
    Miller Dynasty200DX
    ThermalArc 400 GTSW
    MillerMatic350P
    MillerMatic200 with spoolgun
    MKCobraMig260
    Lincoln SP-170T
    Linde UCC305 (sold 2011)
    Hypertherm 1250
    Hypertherm 800