Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Good point, Nick. I stopped by and talked to the local metal recycler today. They sell steel for $.20 a pound here. I was mostly kidding about not having money for metal, but only just mostly kidding. $2000 is a pretty big investment for me.

Might help if you post your location. Must be someone here to guide you to a steel supplier. Location has impact on everything . Just do a search on tank purchases or refills and you'll see how the prices vary.

Oh man, I know the feeling. I researched and debated for sooo long and when I finally pulled the trigger on my first machine it took over my every thought.

The one thing I didn't get that day was scrap metal. bummer, I was welding on little tiny things I could find laying around.

The next two machines was not as exciting but still a big deal. '

I still do a lot of almost free work just to have a project to learn new things on.

I'm in Clovis, NM. Small town 8 miles from TX. Only 100 miles to amarillo or Lubbock, but we don't waste the gas to go there much. If I can't find what I want locally I order it online and it ships to my door. Amazing world we live in now.

We've got a few steel yards in town but there's one in particular, Mark's Pipe and Iron, that treats me really fair and always had timer for my stupid rookie questions, so even though he's a few bucks more on some things, I'll always go to him.

About bottles, i'm trying to decide whether to do the lease thing or but my own. The lease is $45 a year, which isn't a lot of money, but I can find a reman argon bottle for $100 online. What do y'all think?

Depends on your situation. Are you gonna be using 75/25 for steel, or do you plan on getting a spool gun. You gonna get a 300 size or a 125/150. Maybe 125's would be easier for handling. Possible two tanks so when you run out you have a back up and take the empty to town next trip going that way.
    What size tank is the $45.00 lease ?
    Here's another site that may help out. You can do a search on tanks here too.
    I posted about a Ma /Pa supplier in Wisconsin that I went to .

Weldingweb site. http://weldingweb.com/forum.php

post http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php...01#post3430701

post http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php...-than-one-tank

Tank size http://www.airgas.com/content/detail...=7000000000234

The $45 is just the yearly lease on the bottle. Doesn't matter what size bottle, it's the same price. Then you just pay for the gas every time you swap it out. It would make sense though to have a back up like you say, but I sure wouldn't pay $45 each for two bottles every year. It's not a lot of money but it would quickly approach the cost of buying your own bottles and not paying the lease. There's another place in town that fills bottles I believe. I'll check and see what inspections they require and such.

Hydro test is 13 bucks and needed once every 10 years (before the next fill - you can let it go forever if you never need it refilled).

My last 336cf tank was $280 full of Argon (buying the tank outright). Anyone pushing a "service plan" on my tanks promptly loses all my business. It's happened to two vendors so far.

Rentals are for people who have short term needs. There's tanks still in service from WW2 - they don't just "wear out."
    Syncrowave 250DX
    Invison 354MP
    XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 81
    Smith O/A rig
    And more machinery than you can shake a 7018 rod at