Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Hybrid View

Default having problems with my gas flow on an xrs controller.

The machine will feed wire and flow gas. But after a second of holding the trigger the gas stops. I have switched leads and regulator, still does not flow gas constantly. I have reason to believe its the motherboard. Anyone have experience repairing welding machines?

Quote Originally Posted by Tmccub530 View Post
    The machine will feed wire and flow gas. But after a second of holding the trigger the gas stops. I have switched leads and regulator, still does not flow gas constantly. I have reason to believe its the motherboard. Anyone have experience repairing welding machines?

Thats a second of welding, or just holding the trigger, cause gas will shut off if your just holding the trigger and not welding.

I test it on scrap aluminum and cleaned with acetone and the weld looks dirty when welding. You can tell its not washing ahead of the puddle. I then continued to test the regulator and leads. Still dirty. After testing it while welding a few times i just held the trigger and you can hear it stop the flow of gas. I swapped controllers and im running again just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Tmccub530 View Post
    I test it on scrap aluminum and cleaned with acetone and the weld looks dirty when welding. You can tell its not washing ahead of the puddle. I then continued to test the regulator and leads. Still dirty. After testing it while welding a few times i just held the trigger and you can hear it stop the flow of gas. I swapped controllers and im running again just fine.
    Probable reed switch inside the controller not telling the machine that it made a contact (welding) The power cable from the power source must pass through a square thingy before it attaches to the drive.
    Last edited by cruizer; 01-08-2014 at 04:36 PM.

I will follow up and try that out. Thank you