Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post welding magnetized drill pipe

I use 2 3/8 and 2 7/8 used pipe around the place and its magnetized and when i grind on it it makes worse . Using 6011 on dc+ it will just burn the rod up from sticking if i turn it to dc- it will weld . It's not supposed to be used on that polarity will the weld be alright ? I tried wrapping the gr lead different ways and other things but nothing has worked its mostly just pipe fence .

Can you run in ac?
    MillerMatic 251
    CST 280 w/tig torch
    HF-251-D1
    Cutmaster 42
    Victor Journeyman OA

A rockcrawler, er money pit, in progress...

Older Trailblazers and both old and new Bobcats have AC polarity which is the best solution for arc blow.

Electrode 6011 can run on AC, DC+ and DC- polarities and the go-to rod for A53 (matches or exceeds tensile strength) pipe which you probably have. If you can carry the puddle on small diameter pipe, most 7018 has AC as a second polarity and Lincoln distributes a 7018 AC at Lowe's and HD.

The other alternative is to wrap your work clamp (ground lead) a dozen times around the pipe near its clamping point to create an induction coil and cancel the magnetism. Try wrapping it clockwise, then counterclockwise if that doesn't work. Get a clean, shiny ground and weld joint on that rusty pipe too before starting.

Bear in mind also if it's really windy, the lee side (opposite the wind) of pipe experiences lower wind pressure and higher velocity due to the Bernoulli effect and can exacerbate or even mimic arc blow.
    Dynasty 350
    Bobcat 250
    Maxstar 150S
    Titanium 9400
    Purox O/A
    Cutmaster 42

Thanks yes i can run in ac i have a bobcat 225 i was just doing some experimenting with the dc- . Man that pipe really gets bad when grind rust and clean up saddle ends . I did not know grinding would cause it to magnetize i have since read that machining or grinding can cause it .
    Last edited by Kpack; 01-07-2014 at 11:12 AM.

Out of curiosity, is your grinder powered by your welder, is the ground clamp on the pipe when you grind?

May be you already tried all different configurations...and god knows where these pipes are coming from.

Do not stick your tongue on it it'll really magnetize!

Quote Originally Posted by snowbird View Post
    Out of curiosity, is your grinder powered by your welder, is the ground clamp on the pipe when you grind?

May be you already tried all different configurations...and god knows where these pipes are coming from.

Do not stick your tongue on it it'll really magnetize!
    I've about tried everything but my tongue .

Welded just a little on my project yesterday in ac worked good was able to turn heat down to keep from sticking . When i did use dc- the other day it sounded just like welding in ac . I'll post some pictures pretty soon . Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kpack View Post
    Welded just a little on my project yesterday in ac worked good was able to turn heat down to keep from sticking . When i did use dc- the other day it sounded just like welding in ac . I'll post some pictures pretty soon . Thanks

If you are sticking your electrode, turning the amps down will only help you to stick it even more. Turning the amps up makes starts easier.

Thanks walker i had it turned up so high before if it wasn't a tight fit you know what happened . When i went to ac i could back way off and fill some of my gaps . I hope i'm not the only one that tries to fill gaps those 6011s can heat some metal up .
    It started raining today but when i get back on it i'm going to try going over those ac welds in dc+ with 7018s i'm just trying learn how to weld i like 7018 but havn't had any luck with them in ac .

Default welding magnetized drill pipe

heating the pipe up red hot will greatly reduce the magnetism also