Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Best Leather Welding Jacket

Stick, Plate/Pipe class starts next week. I need to buy a welding jacket. The one I have now is from NorthernTool and is cotton with leather sleeves. It's worked ok but the cotton part is wearing out quick.

I'd like to buy a Tillman/Caiman/what ever that's full leather.

Y'all got any recommendations?

Y'all's thoughts also on whether to get full jacket or open-back cape/apron?

I had both full jacket and open back cape. The cape was a bit hard to put on. I prefer the full jacket much more for protection especially when the sparks are flying. Whether you're grinding, welding or cutting with a torch sparks can fly everywhere. You can also sometimes back into a hot plate you just finished welding or cutting by accident, I've seen this done by the idiot next to me. I guess he learned a lesson the hard way.

This is my first post. I've been a lurker for awhile. First question I felt I could answer. I purchased a Tillman full leather jacket. After 2 months I sold it. I didn't like the fit or the comfort. It was cowhide and was like wearing stiff cardboard. I purchased a Miller pig skin jacket. Sleeves are lined and it fits like a fine pair of boots. Not saying that Miller is the only one I would buy- but if you can go to a local welding store- try some on. Wearing an uncomfortable jacket all day is not what you want.
    Last edited by kize; 01-01-2014 at 06:33 PM.

Cool

My best leather jacket is one someone else is wearing because i don't like working in one at all. Just my thoughts...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

I've got an Anchor brand set of leather arms that have buttons for a front panel. They have a collar with about 3 buttons up the front and are pretty comfortable as leathers go. I never did get anything for the rest of it. I only wear them when doing overhead work where spatter is raining down on me. Spatter burning through my cottons was what prompted the purchase. The rest of the time I much prefer the green welding shirts.
    Syncrowave 250DX
    Invison 354MP
    XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 81
    Smith O/A rig
    And more machinery than you can shake a 7018 rod at

Default Best Leather Welding Jacket

I never wear the leathers I have one that sits in the box full time I wear a long sleeve cotton shirt and then the green on top cost me 15bucks every 3months but far more comfortable
    Syncrowave 250
    Millermatic 210
    dialarc 250
    spectrum 375x
    trailblazer 302
    Lincoln 135

Quote Originally Posted by stickermigtigger View Post
    Stick, Plate/Pipe class starts next week. I need to buy a welding jacket. The one I have now is from NorthernTool and is cotton with leather sleeves. It's worked ok but the cotton part is wearing out quick.

I'd like to buy a Tillman/Caiman/what ever that's full leather.

Y'all got any recommendations?

Y'all's thoughts also on whether to get full jacket or open-back cape/apron?

Miller jackets all the way. I was using millers jackets with leather sleeves and cotton front. They didn't last but a few months. Now I use full leathers from miller. I like the fit and the pocket location and size on the sleeves. Your safety and comfort is not an option. Have the local welding sales rep bring you one by for a test fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel-Gluer View Post
    Miller jackets all the way. I was using millers jackets with leather sleeves and cotton front. They didn't last but a few months. Now I use full leathers from miller. I like the fit and the pocket location and size on the sleeves. Your safety and comfort is not an option. Have the local welding sales rep bring you one by for a test fit.
    Tried on the Miller pigskin. Yep, nice look, nice feel.

Things I didn't like about it:
    - Pricey
    - Didn't get the feel it would take a lot of molten material before burn through
    - Didn't like the elastic cotton stuff in the cuffs. Going to be hot and not needed to stop molten material going up sleeve since wearing gauntlet gloves.
    - REALLY didn't like the outside pocket where it is. That has to be a molten material trap as it always flared open unless I had my hands by my sides.

Quote Originally Posted by kize View Post
    I purchased a Tillman full leather jacket. After 2 months I sold it. I didn't like the fit or the comfort. It was cowhide and was like wearing stiff cardboard.
    Had the same impression of the Tillman jacket. Didn't buy it.

Have decided to stick with my combo leather sleeve, cotton front/back Hobart coat until it wears out, then look again.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

http://www.officeworld.com/Worlds-Bi...FclcMgodfHUATw

This was what google pulled up. Mines the same brand, but lacks the full front/back.

Something to keep in mind anyway.

I don't find mine stiff at all, but it is definitely heavy enough to know you're wearing it.
    Syncrowave 250DX
    Invison 354MP
    XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 81
    Smith O/A rig
    And more machinery than you can shake a 7018 rod at