Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Diversion 180 Torch

I just got my Diversion 180 unpacked today. Miller no longer puts a pushbutton and amperage control on the Torch(yeh!). Does this mean I can now buy a flexible torch head and just screw it on? Such as Weldcraft A-150 Flex Tig Torch Package?

Thanks,

JC

I wonder why they quit shipping the diversion with the fingertip controlled torch head?
    MM 211 W/ Spoolgun
    Diversion 180
    Spectrum 375 X-TREME
    Portable Victor O/A
    Palmgren Bench Drill Press
    14" Evolution Dry Saw
    IR 60 Gal. 3 HP Compressor
    Speedglas 9100x
    My Brain

i recently purchased a diversion 180. the documentation i received before ordering showed the unit with torch controls. When the unit showed up- guess what - plain torch with NO controls. I contacted the distributor, which contacted miller.

They told me this -- Miller bought weld-craft. Miller then decided that they could save a bunch of money by dropping the controls on the torch- use the foot pedal they say. Miller also removed the extra control circuits on the welder motherboard- so if you wanted to add the fancy torch with controls- you're out of luck. Again to save themselves money.

They make a finger control accessory for the torch that plugs into where the foot control goes. But for 200.00 extra dollars ill pass. I liked the idea of having both finger and foot controls on the machine. Miller apparently didnt.

The torch is hardwired with a goofy gas connector. It can be changed by finding an adapter for the gas hose and using aftermarket torches.

This is what i have found with the research. I'm sure there are some errors in it.

Bottom line - Its about the money.

Quote Originally Posted by kize View Post
    Bottom line - Its about the money.

this is sad..

thanks for the reply kize
    MM 211 W/ Spoolgun
    Diversion 180
    Spectrum 375 X-TREME
    Portable Victor O/A
    Palmgren Bench Drill Press
    14" Evolution Dry Saw
    IR 60 Gal. 3 HP Compressor
    Speedglas 9100x
    My Brain

Over the past several years, customer feedback and sales data indicated that a majority of customers preferred using the foot control. After the integration of the Weldcraft® brand into the Miller portfolio, we wanted to supply a higher quality torch that is manufactured right here in Appleton, WI. With this transition, it is also easier to configure the torch to different style torch heads to customize the torch for specific applications – whether that be a flex head or smaller 13N style consumables.

We do apologize for any customers who received product different than what they were expecting. In preparation for the transition we did take several precautionary steps to reduce any misunderstanding. A letter was sent to all of our distribution partners before the transition explaining the changes in both hardware and functionality. The latest versions were also identified with a new part number and were not labeled as a direct supersede, indicating that there was a difference between the two products. We thank you for your understanding and support with this transition.

So can one buy finger controlled torches anymore? For anything, not just Diversion.
    Who do you call when the lawmakers ignore the law?

Miller AC/DC Thunderbolt 225
    Miller 180 w/Autoset
    Old cutting torch on LPG

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Flyingpig View Post
    So can one buy finger controlled torches anymore? For anything, not just Diversion.

You can buy " a finger control for most machines as an add-on. For example the diversion 180 has an add-on finger control Part # 770669. Miller makes the same for most other machines. Do they offer a torch with finger controls for their New diversion 180- No. You would have to find an earlier generation diversion ( different product number) and it would already have the torch with controls on it. As for other machines you'd have to call Miller with your machine specifics.

And I don't buy the " general poll bit " on the Diversion 180 change from Miller. If you didn't like the torch controls- you just plugged the foot control in the unit and it overrides the torch controls. Kind of impractical when you're on your back piecing a body panel back together and have to use a foot control between your legs or your arm pit.

Don't get me wrong- I fell in love with Miller stuff after I purchased a 251 with a 30A spool gun. Then I purchased a Diversion 180 for the thin lightweight stuff. What I was told- and what I received was totally different. Even after doing my own research before purchasing. If I could have justified a dynasty 200 that would have been my choice. It as out of my league for what i am doing. I will have to admit though-- this last purchase has left a sour taste in my mouth.
    Last edited by kize; 01-06-2014 at 07:48 PM.