Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Hard times for all I guess...

I know it's been a while since I was last up on the forums and I really want to thank everyone for the help and insight helping me learn about welding with gas. So to the point I guess.

My contract with the company I have been working with for the past 8 years as computer service tech was not renewed, so myself along with 15 other techs were sent our walking papers on April 1st (irony?) of this year. With no luck finding work and my unemployment dried up over a month ago. I have resorted to selling my belongings, one of my two cars ('95 Z/28. The van is more practical) and of course my barely a year old Millermatic 211 so I can get the bill collectors off my backside.

So I was wondering since I registered my welder, when I'm ready to part with it how do I properly transfer registration? Do I just contact Miller and inform them that the welder changed hands? I just don't want the new owner to have any issues if he/she needs to service it down the road and it comes up as the welder still being registered to me.

My plan is to sell everything all at once as a package: my car, welder, cart, consumables, Milwaukee metal cutting saw and an almost full tank of welding gas on Ebay. Hopefully someone local will see it and jump. If that don't work I may consider splitting up the kids.

Thanks again.

Default split up everything

If u want to get the most for your items split them all up. Make an auction for each thing, selling all as one is difficult and rarely pays off. Also i would sell everything on craigslist.
    Kevin
    XMT 304
    Miller Spectrum 625
    Miller 30a spool gun
    S22a
    Miller Legend 302
    Lincoln LN25
    Ford f450 Maintainer Srv Truck

Tryagn5 is right, Piecing out things individually will bring you the best money.

Don't wait for jobs to come to you, Just relying on applying on line for jobs is a mistake.

Leave the house at 7:30 in the morning, Drive to any industrial parks within a 40 mile radius and actually pound on doors.

There's nothing like a face to face meeting.

I would find a parking lot where everyone drives a nice car and find out what they do and find out what they're needs are and pester the heck out of them.

If you bug them enough they will eventually look at you.

I realize there are certain jobs where this wont work and I also realize certain jobs will only look at a resume on line.

So apply on line and pester them by knocking on doors.

Do this with several places ( Eventually they will give in ) Its you job to let them know how hungry you are for the job.

When I started in the welding field I pounded on hundreds of doors looking for any kind of work in my profession of welding, maintenance etc. I left the house at 7am and never returned before 5pm. and would knock on doors all day if that's what it took.

Sorry to be so harsh but its the truth.
    Have clean work clothes on, a pen and pencil, clean shaven without a cigarette hanging out of your mouth, If you have Tattoos cover them up as well.

When times were really bad a couple years ago I heard tons of people say that there is no work out there, I have had a add in the phone book for my business since 1988 and at best I would get one phone call a month where some one would ask if I was hiring.

I would have thought that I would get a few phone calls a week at least.

To make matters worse, About 20% of the calls I got was the mom, Girlfriend or Wife calling for they're husband or son, The guy didn't have the Balls to call him self.

The warranty is to the original owner. With that said I would find it hard to believe that Miller would not repair a warranty issue because it was not to the original owner.

Quote Originally Posted by big mike View Post
    The warranty is to the original owner. With that said I would find it hard to believe that Miller would not repair a warranty issue because it was not to the original owner.

Not that at all, we as warranty techs really don't care if the unit has had a hundred owners. Its the engine manufacturer that cares. and you need that original bill of sale. This is something, we have zero control over.

Default don't do it

That welding equipment can make you more money by using it than selling it......Sell that Z car It just costs you money.....Good Luck...

Quote Originally Posted by Heavychevy View Post
    I know it's been a while since I was last up on the forums and I really want to thank everyone for the help and insight helping me learn about welding with gas. So to the point I guess.

My contract with the company I have been working with for the past 8 years as computer service tech was not renewed, so myself along with 15 other techs were sent our walking papers on April 1st (irony?) of this year. With no luck finding work and my unemployment dried up over a month ago. I have resorted to selling my belongings, one of my two cars ('95 Z/28. The van is more practical) and of course my barely a year old Millermatic 211 so I can get the bill collectors off my backside.

So I was wondering since I registered my welder, when I'm ready to part with it how do I properly transfer registration? Do I just contact Miller and inform them that the welder changed hands? I just don't want the new owner to have any issues if he/she needs to service it down the road and it comes up as the welder still being registered to me.

My plan is to sell everything all at once as a package: my car, welder, cart, consumables, Milwaukee metal cutting saw and an almost full tank of welding gas on Ebay. Hopefully someone local will see it and jump. If that don't work I may consider splitting up the kids.

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Portable Welder View Post
    Tryagn5 is right, Piecing out things individually will bring you the best money.

Don't wait for jobs to come to you, Just relying on applying on line for jobs is a mistake.

Leave the house at 7:30 in the morning, Drive to any industrial parks within a 40 mile radius and actually pound on doors.

There's nothing like a face to face meeting.

I would find a parking lot where everyone drives a nice car and find out what they do and find out what they're needs are and pester the heck out of them.

If you bug them enough they will eventually look at you.

I realize there are certain jobs where this wont work and I also realize certain jobs will only look at a resume on line.

So apply on line and pester them by knocking on doors.

Do this with several places ( Eventually they will give in ) Its you job to let them know how hungry you are for the job.

When I started in the welding field I pounded on hundreds of doors looking for any kind of work in my profession of welding, maintenance etc. I left the house at 7am and never returned before 5pm. and would knock on doors all day if that's what it took.

Sorry to be so harsh but its the truth.
    Have clean work clothes on, a pen and pencil, clean shaven without a cigarette hanging out of your mouth, If you have Tattoos cover them up as well.

When times were really bad a couple years ago I heard tons of people say that there is no work out there, I have had a add in the phone book for my business since 1988 and at best I would get one phone call a month where some one would ask if I was hiring.

I would have thought that I would get a few phone calls a week at least.

To make matters worse, About 20% of the calls I got was the mom, Girlfriend or Wife calling for they're husband or son, The guy didn't have the Balls to call him self.
    I hear ya, and trust me I have been going the full monte on work search. As a computer tech 9 out of 10 everything is done on-line. I printed out cards attempting to drum up some business for myself (computer repair, cat 5 wiring etc...) but in my little town everyone is struggling, so what little business I get is never enough to pay the bills. Once the car is gone I'm packing up and moving to somewhat greener pastures.

Quote Originally Posted by Tryagn5 View Post
    If u want to get the most for your items split them all up. Make an auction for each thing, selling all as one is difficult and rarely pays off. Also i would sell everything on craigslist.
    Kevin
    Cool, thanks for the tip!

Quote Originally Posted by bayweld View Post
    That welding equipment can make you more money by using it than selling it......Sell that Z car It just costs you money.....Good Luck...
    I wish I was that good a welder. It was a hobby and I just got my miller last year. I don't trust my current skills enough to be welding on folks stuff. Even if it's something like sculpture I have no metal fab skills good enough to turn a profit.

Unfortunately you have to move where there's work,

Good luck.