Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default TIG manufacturing career?

For me a few years ago I realized I would not be happy making the money that would come with shop welding. I'm 26 but going to school for metallurgy and that has brought me some good increases in pay. I still moonlight and work for a local shop. Stay diversified and you'll find the money
    Syncrowave 250
    Millermatic 210
    dialarc 250
    spectrum 375x
    trailblazer 302
    Lincoln 135

$13/Hour:
    ~$26,000/year

Fed Poverty Level, couple w/2 kids:
    ~$22,000/year

chance favors the prepare mind!

learn all phases of your trade for job security. layout and setting up jigs are just as important as the actual welding process! welding certs mean you can perform basic welding to a minimum standard. welding certs show your employer you have a willingness to learn and better yourself as a tradesman. showing a willingness to learn is huge in todays job market. a few courses at community college are good for your career!

The most important thing to learn about in any career is how to understand & manage money. This is the one item that follows you to any career/job you take. By taking courses in investing & financial planning you will learn a valuable skill that most young people today have no clue about. Even if the job you do has nothing to do with money your personal life does.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

Default Hmmmmmm

It would be very difficult for me to imagine how a young guy in the Boston area could make rent on a $13/hour salary, let alone eat or have anything like reliable transportation. The screwing of the American worker continues, full tilt boggie. They pay you nothing, expect you to devote yourself to the job, and they will outsource your work to china in a heartbeat and toss you out into the streets if it improves the bottom line by one red cent.

I'm old, I got mine, but I fret for you young guys who are being turned into wage slaves by pure and simple greed at the top. You may love your job but try and raise a family on romain noodles and see how that works out. Nothing on the economic (I am a retired Economist by the way) or political fronts even hints that things are going to get better and if this free trade agreement with Asia goes through you might just as well forget anything like the sort of life your dad and granddad had.

Default Create your own reality with your thoughts

Whatever you do, always believe in yourself.
    Be a good man with a positive view on life, and you will attract what you think about.