Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Make fun of the noob video!

I am a relative noob at welding. I probably have welded through 3 or 4 10 lb spools over two years. Anyway I have been practicing more earnestly lately and was hoping forum members would take a peak at this video I recorded showing some of my recent work.

During the last few months I have been doing some research on mig welding and have come across a couple of threads on various forums mentioning the use of a clamp meter on the mig work lead to use as a point of reference. So I thought I would try using one and recording the results of the reads as I welded. My thought was that, along with just looking at the weld results, if I watch the video of the amp reading it could also lend me some insight into how well I was keeping my stick out during the weld.

Here are the results…feel free to flame on it, and, if up for it, give a few thoughts on the results, i.e. any welding defects you can recognize and any advice.... other than..."give up"...

Video factoids: three different welds are shown using a MillerMatic 252 welding 1/4" to 1/2" mild steel in a tee joint, .035" metal cored wire, 26 volts, 500 WFS , 1/2" stick out, 98% Argon 2% Oxygen

Lightbulb feedback(positive)

good video,

you look uncomfortable while welding. Get comfortable. Try not to twist your wrist while traveling, move along with you weld keeping a 10 degree travel angle. Also i looks like your way to fast on your speed you can see the lack of control in the finsh product. try turning you speed down around 300 to gain your control then once you get it you can bump it up but no need to go above 350. Maybe try turning your heat down as well around 24 or so possibly even lower depending on thickness and type of wire. good luck!

Lightbulb feedback(positive)

good video,

you look uncomfortable while welding. Get comfortable. Try not to twist your wrist while traveling, move along with you weld keeping a 10 degree travel angle. Also i looks like your way to fast on your speed you can see the lack of control in the finsh product. try turning you speed down around 300 to gain your control then once you get it you can bump it up but no need to go above 350. Maybe try turning your heat down as well around 24 or so possibly even lower depending on thickness and type of wire. good luck!

MigMuppet welcome to the forum.