Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default High moisture in shop??

Hello, this is not a welding question, but figured others might have the same problems. I don't heat my shop all the time and have a big problem with moisture on everything from tools to you name it. I had heard one time saying if you run a fan it would help. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance.
    Welder99
    Ps. Merry Christmas
    Trailblazer 250G
    Bobcat 225
    Miller 140 STR
    Lincoln SA-200
    Miller XMT 304
    Lincoln Squarewave 355
    Lincoln 140C
    Lincoln 170T
    Miller S-22A feeder
    Miller 30A Spoolgun
    Miller XR-15
    Lincoln LN-25's
    Hypetherm 380
    Just to mention a few

Cool

Today i would have had the same problem. My shop is cold from the cooler winter air and today the temps went into the 60's. As soon as i would have opened my big door all of that warm air would have made everything inside soaking wet. So today i left the big door down and worked in my basement shop...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

↑↑↑↑ spoiled
    Miller Bobcat 225NT onan
    Millermatic 211
    Spoolmate 100
    (Retapped to fit regular mig tips)
    Work better & less parts to stock.
    Miller 130xp
    T/A Dragster 85 (portability 11 pounds)
    Oxygen/Acetylene torch set 50'
    2. 4-1/2" grinders
    1. 9" grinder
    14" Makita chop saw
    1/2" Aircat impact gun 900#

welcom to the forum, i cant help to notice the abundance of equipment that you have, quite an investment, to be without a heat source is not doing your tools any good, speak to the women in your life, grab their old sheets and pillow cases, they make good covers in situations like this

I would save up and insulate the shop, then it would be more cost effective to be able to heat the shop during all the cold months.

Quote Originally Posted by Welder99 View Post
    Hello, this is not a welding question, but figured others might have the same problems. I don't heat my shop all the time and have a big problem with moisture on everything from tools to you name it. I had heard one time saying if you run a fan it would help. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance.
    Welder99
    Ps. Merry Christmas
    I live in the South and it is humid as the day is long. A dehumidifier will fix your issues.
    Nick

Not sure that a dehumidifier will work if the shop is below freezing.....

You might be able to heat your shop just a little to lower the humidity. Any heating will lower the humidity. I was looking at a psychometric chart, and even a 10 degrees increase in temperature will lower the relative humidity dramatically. For example, if you had 100% relative humidity outside at 40F, and heated your shop to 50F, the relative humidity would drop to 60%. This assumes that your shop is not airtight, so the outside air will come in at a certain rate. If the temperature in your shop is higher than the outside air temperature, then the percent humidity in your shop will be reduced, relative to the outside. If you wanted to be super-scientific about it, rather than using a standard thermostat, use a differential thermostat, such that your shop would be kept at 10F higher than the outside. A different and simpler approach would be to put an electric heater on a timer, maybe run 5 or 10 minutes per hour, that would keep the shop warmer than the outside.

Some folks suggest that 50% humidity is a good goal to minimize rusting.

You might want to invest in humidity meter for inside and outside.

Disclaimer: This is an engineering view of the problem, looking at the physics of humidity. I live in a dry climate, so my tools tend to stay very free of rust, with no effort on my part. However, a recent flood caused me to buy a dehumidifier and some humidity meters, so I have been paying a lot of attention to humidity lately.

Richard
    Last edited by raferguson; 12-23-2013 at 05:58 PM.

Default Thanks to all that's replied

I do have some insulation, it's an old shop. I'm thinking about a wood pellet stove if I can find a good used one, that way I can at least get some heat and try to keep the high cost of heating down. Here in Ohio you never know what kind of weather your going to get.Ive been welding for 34 yrs this yr. I weld full time for my employer and part time here at home. Summer time I've got all the work
    I need but once the snow flies things get slow on the side, so I'm not in my shop every day. Happy Holidays
    Trailblazer 250G
    Bobcat 225
    Miller 140 STR
    Lincoln SA-200
    Miller XMT 304
    Lincoln Squarewave 355
    Lincoln 140C
    Lincoln 170T
    Miller S-22A feeder
    Miller 30A Spoolgun
    Miller XR-15
    Lincoln LN-25's
    Hypetherm 380
    Just to mention a few

I was going to suggest a pellet stove. Those things are relatively cheap and they dry a place out real good.

Quote Originally Posted by kevin View Post
    welcom to the forum, i cant help to notice the abundance of equipment that you have, quite an investment, to be without a heat source is not doing your tools any good,

Ditto..
    I a retired electrical engineer who has worked on the design of a product exposed to dew point condensation.. The failure mechanisms it brings on is not something you want to expose expensive equipment to if you can avoid it..

In an industrial environment, the circuit boards and other electrical components inside the product, over time get coated with some rather nasty dust contaminants. In lab simulation of this effect involves exposing the product to quite small e.g. parts per million levels of sulfur dioxide and chlorine compounds in a high humidity environment.

When dew point condensation occurs, these contaminants can turn acidic, and get washed down into any connectors or other unsealed components and wreak their havoc.

Well designed products will use conformal coated http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conformal_coating circuit boards and other sealing measures to keep this stuff out of electrical connections, and high quality switches and other sealed components. Keeping the equipment out of a condensing environment if possbile is certainly not a bad idea.
    Last edited by dandeman; 12-24-2013 at 09:31 PM.
    Hobby Welder for about 32 years
    Hobart 190 MIG with SpoolGun
    Hobart AirForce 700i Plasma Cutter
    Hornell Speedglas 9000X Helmet
    295A AC Buzzbox (what I learned on)
    Miller Bobcat 225, factory propane option, also serves as my emergency power generator
    Dandeman Dan's Toy Page