Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Millermatic 35 and a spoolmatic 2

I posted a question about adding a spoolmatic 2 to my millermatic 35 but it never came through..Is there a grace period before new members post show up on the forums?

thanks

Bob

your original question did not come through.. you might repost it on this thread.. but meanwhile here are the manuals.. they may answer your question..

here is a link to the MM35 manual

http://www.millerwelds.com/om/o1301q_mil.pdf

and here is a link to the Spoolmatic2 manual

http://www.millerwelds.com/om/o1211a_mil.pdf

hope this helps
    Heiti

Thank you for the info, I don't have the spool gun in my hands yet but my question was whether or not I could adapt it to my millermatic 35 welder.

I have used the mm35 since it was new when my dad bought it to build frame buggies and has had alot of wire run through the old machine. I inherited it full time when my dad passed away in 01' My brother picked up the spool gun thinking that he could weld aluminum with his rig that he has but somebody said it wouldn't hook up to it so I thought I would see if it would hook up to mine.

I am thinking that it wont as the electronics are so much older on the welder but you never know somebody here might have converted it over with out too much trouble.

Thanks

Bob

Default Bumpity bump

Thought I would bump this up for a refresher to see if anyone knows if the mm35 can be adapted to hook a spoolmatic spool gun to it

Thanks
    Bob

I looked at both diagrams for a while. The Spoolmatic 2, like the 3 is self contained. The 2 uses open circuit voltage to operate, which is fine for CC use, but not so good for CV use as the OCV is much lower.

I don't think you'll get much drive out of the unit in CV. So from my point of view it would be a useless endevour.

thanks for looking into it for me. I am not familiar with the cv ocv or cc terms, or what they mean I am guessing the ocv is the open circuit voltage that you made reference to in the last post My original thought was to try my hand at welding some aluminum as he got this unit with a bunch of spools of aluminum wire. second I am restoring a couple cars and I had borrowed a little 120v 140miller that was wonderful for the sheet metal replacement but I had to give it back. I can use my mm35 and do pretty good with the thin metal by adjusting how far from the metal I hold the gun causing the weld to be either hotter the closer I am to a little cooler the farther away I am, works pretty good but dang that 140 was great for the sheet metal work. So I thought I might be able to tune it a little better with the spoolgun, honestly I have never messed with one, I just thought it might make a good upgrade to what I was using already.

Thanks
    bob

I'd have to say you're not going to be able to "tune" a spool gun any different or better than the normal wire feed gun. Both would use the same voltage taps and both can be adjusted from a wire feed crawl to maximum feed speed. Just as heavier gauge/thickness materials, success with light gauge is basically a matter of voltage, wire size, wire feed speed and travel speed. Getting them dialed in properly comes from working with it.

But if you're serious about modifying your MM35 to run a spool gun for aluminum, the Spoolmatic 3 is fairly easy to do and requires minimum materials. I have a drawing in .pdf format of the circuit modifications but it's too large to upload so if you're interested, PM an email address and I'll send it to you.
    MM200 w/spot controller and Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180 SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus LPG/NG w/14-pin*
    *Homemade Suitcase Wire Feeder
    *HF-251D-1
    *WC-1S & Spoolmatic 1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Marquette "Star Jet" 21-110

thanks for the offer duaneb55 but I don't think I am going to bother with it. I was only going to mess with it since it didn't cost me anything, just my brother
    and I wanted to fool around with the aluminum welding. After welding in the floor pans today struggling to get under the dash and steering wheel I can see a draw back using the spoolgun with the extra bulkiness and the added weight that it would cause if I were to weld with it.
    Great info on this forum and have added it to my favorites. some of my other forums I like to hang out are:

www.vintage-mustang.com
    www.tractorbynet.com
    www.teamchevelle.com
    caswell.com
    www.pondboss.com
    Just like here a great bunch of guys sharing there blood sweat and tears worth of information.

Thanks
    Bob
    Last edited by envano; 03-25-2010 at 01:22 PM. Reason: Broken Link - caswell.com

Post MM35 Spoolgun

I recently bought a 1984 MM35. Came with a new Radnor gun, set up for 35 wire and works great! I would eventually like to set it up for aluminum welding, and was wondering if anyone could forward along the PDF regarding wiring up a spoolmatic 3 gun.

PM me the unit SN and an email address.
    MM200 w/spot controller and Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180 SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus LPG/NG w/14-pin*
    *Homemade Suitcase Wire Feeder
    *HF-251D-1
    *WC-1S & Spoolmatic 1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Marquette "Star Jet" 21-110