Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Hybrid View

Default What do you call a student workstation?

Ok, yeah, a student workstation, but................

I want to find plans/examples/etc. of mobile practice stations but searching on "student workstation" isn't getting me very far. Are there other names for those things?

I saw one on YouTube one time that a Japanese instructor was using that I really liked but can't find that one again.

I was thinking something with drill stem for a center post, a round piece of 1/2" or greater plate for the "desk" part and a heavy base of some type with castors.

I can imagine what I'm looking for in my mind but too new to know what types and sizes of pipe/plate/etc. to make it work; ergo the search for plans/photos.

Any suggestions?

Welding table??
    Start with the range of what you want to do on it and work backwards from there through what you need to do that until you have a pile of steel on the floor and a torch in your hand. Then go forward until you have a work table/student workstation. Just curious, why round?---Meltedmetal

Smile

something like that?

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...ipment-Welders

or this (sorry about the color)

http://www.lincolnelectric.com/asset...ure/MC1087.pdf

http://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-us...-training.aspx

hopefully it will set you on tracks for what you're looking for, good luck ;o)

Quote Originally Posted by snowbird View Post
    something like that?

or this (sorry about the color)

http://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-us...-training.aspx
    That looks like about what I had in mind. Would build it from steel and yeah, have to get some BLUE paint. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Meltedmetal View Post
    Welding table??
    Just curious, why round?---Meltedmetal
    Honestly, I don't have a great answer. Felt right for being mobile and easier to store? No real good argument over other shape I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by stickermigtigger View Post
    Honestly, I don't have a great answer. Felt right for being mobile and easier to store? No real good argument over other shape I guess.
    Just my preference of course but I like squares or rectangles. When you push into a corner there is no opening at the back/side for stuff to fall off in behind the table. I have a machine (not welding related) mounted on a round table that I had and there are days that I'd like those corners that are missing to hold stuff up but someone made that table round so you are not alone in your penchant for things round. Come to think of it I have a round welding table that was built for a pedestal mounted robot but I haven't decided whether or not I have the room to use it yet. All that said, it is sometimes nice to round the corners of a square so you don't leave some part of your anatomy hanging on a sharp corner if you are daydreaming when you walk into it. Have fun with it.---Meltedmetal

Quote Originally Posted by stickermigtigger View Post
    Ok, yeah, a student workstation, but................

I want to find plans/examples/etc. of mobile practice stations but searching on "student workstation" isn't getting me very far. Are there other names for those things?

I saw one on YouTube one time that a Japanese instructor was using that I really liked but can't find that one again.

I was thinking something with drill stem for a center post, a round piece of 1/2" or greater plate for the "desk" part and a heavy base of some type with castors.

I can imagine what I'm looking for in my mind but too new to know what types and sizes of pipe/plate/etc. to make it work; ergo the search for plans/photos.

Any suggestions?
    This test stand is crude but functionable. I built it from scrap may years ago.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I built a welding table a few years ago when I was just dying to find things to weld and I happened to need a table, too.......One thing I learned the hard way then was to not weld too long on any one piece in any one area..... you've gotta stitch or move around doing the welding if you are putting braces under it between the top surface and the uprights, otherwise you'll warp the top and it will never be anywhere near flat and true and it will piss you off forever after that every time you use it. It is amazing how even a pretty hefty chunk of steel can get warped and pulled out of shape!!

Oh..I did build a round welding table for the shop and I like it because you can either move it around like you would with a barrel tipped part way over or just tip it all the way over and roll it...the base is a big old junked truck rim about 22 or 23 inches in diameter and the top is about the same. This thing is **** bent for stout....if you could get on top of it with a D( Cat, it would hold it up just fine, I think. Plus, at the end of the day it does just fine duty as a "club table" for having a beer or two with a couple of shop stools shoved in around it!
    Don J
    Reno, NV

Never pick a fight with an old guy. Old guys are too smart to fight and get hurt. They'll just kill you and get it over with.

Sorry to bring old thread back, while surfing i found that!

http://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-us...ion-welds.aspx

I was impressed, hope it helps.