Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: voltage sensing

Default voltage sensing

Does anyone here have any experience with the voltage sensing wire feeders like the miller 8vs? I mostly weld 16g but now it seems im finding im welding up to 5/8 all the time. So i guess what im asking is how do they perform on thick and thin metals and what experiences the rest of you have had with them both positive and negative. Ill be running it off my tb302
    Syncrowave 250
    Millermatic 210
    dialarc 250
    spectrum 375x
    trailblazer 302
    Lincoln 135

Quote Originally Posted by strictlycarved View Post
    Does anyone here have any experience with the voltage sensing wire feeders like the miller 8vs? I mostly weld 16g but now it seems im finding im welding up to 5/8 all the time. So i guess what im asking is how do they perform on thick and thin metals and what experiences the rest of you have had with them both positive and negative. Ill be running it off my tb302
    I like them. They will perform best when run on CV .
    Dynasty 200DX "Blue Lightning"
    Bernard 3500ss water-cooler
    Rockwell vertical mill
    Beverly Shear B-3
    Beverly Shear JR
    Home-made English wheel
    Milwaukee Porta-band
    " Sawz-all
    Tennsmith 36" stomp shear
    Fixer upper 1968 Redface Lincoln sa200
    Powcon 300st

I have never heard great things about them but thats just me, Im sure that if miller endorses them their sure to be good units. and my primary concern would be welding thin.
    Syncrowave 250
    Millermatic 210
    dialarc 250
    spectrum 375x
    trailblazer 302
    Lincoln 135

Default Huh?

I have never heard great things about them but thats just me, Im sure that if miller endorses them their sure to be good units. and my primary concern would be welding thin.
    What "great things" haven't you heard about them? My 8 VS works great! Never had a problem, complaint, or issue with it.

The only way you're going to use it, is from your TB 302. They don't plug into the wall. The TB 302 CV mode, has an excellent, flat, volt/amp curve for use with wire feeders.

The drive rolls are interchangeable with the larger MillerMatic All-In-One MIGS, the Bernard Q-300 gun is very heavy duty, and has a greater selection of tips and nozzle "Center Fire" consumables.

Providing you have the correct liner, .023-.062 diameter wire feeds therough the 8VS. Parameters for .030 - .062 wire are inside the lid, as well as available on Miller's MIG Slide Rule Calculator.

Maybe your apprehension may be listening to those who don't know how to correctly use them. These new "All-In-One" MIGS with AutoSet has taken the guess work, and learning curve out of wire feed welding.

With any wire feeder and the. TB 302, the user has to set voltage/WFS.

If using Flux-Cored wire, you must switch the polarity on the TB 302 to DC -

The 8 VS doesn't "know" or recognize polarity, so the user has to make sure the power source is set correctly. Always make sure the CC/CV switch on (in) the feeder is set properly. You'll be using CV 99.9% of the time.

Hope this answers your question

Dave
    Last edited by davedarragh; 08-05-2009 at 12:50 PM.
    "Bonne journe'e mes amis"

With the TB302, you can use the RC feeder instead of the VS and have remote control of the voltage at the feeder. This would also require an additional control cable to connect the feeder to the TB. We normally recommend up to 75ft of control cable. If you need to go a lot further, then the VS feeder is great for extreme distances from the welder.
    Both work great. I use the 8RC on my TB and I can say the only thing I don't care for, and it's no big deal, is dragging the extra cable along with the machine. I now disconnect it between uses and drag the feeder out and then connect the control cable. I find that it takes less abuse if stored separate from the feeder/machine.

Good luck.

Andy

No it really sounds like a great machine and ill get one soon, I dont know what these other guys were saying but a welder like that would fit my application perfectly. They probably were not using them correctly. But yea the whole reason why i want one is that is plugs into the leads on the TB. Thanks for all the input.
    Syncrowave 250
    Millermatic 210
    dialarc 250
    spectrum 375x
    trailblazer 302
    Lincoln 135

With the right machine connected to the 8VS or the 12VS It can handle very thick sections. My 12 VS is rated at something like 400 amps 100% duty cycle with shielding gas (thanks dave for the tip).

On CV mode they work almost as smooth as a stand alone mig. i.e. it stutters a tiny bit as the welder comes off idle But that's the welder not the feeder.
    These feeders work great of a XMT304. I got mine for a steal of a price and would not trade it knowing I could not get another one. They are pricey but well worth it.

Now in CC mode they just about suck. It will work but you will not like it at all. The arc is hot and the feed speed is inconsistent But that is the nature of the beast on CC mode as the voltage changes dramatically with arc length.

I had this great ideal of using it hooked up to my Syncrowave 200 in stick mode and having an all in one unit. Tig mig and stick YEAH RIGHT. Open circuit voltage is way to high for it and CC mode just sucks way to hot of an arc with little control over it.

You will be more then happy with it other then the price but it can pay for itself in no time at all. Set up is easy and quick. If you leave the gun connected it's even faster. Flux core makes it real easy to use but dual shield is cleaner. I love my 12VS and carry it the truck all the time.
    Miller Syncrowave 200 W/Radiator 1A & water cooled torch
    Millermatic 252 on the wish list
    Bridgeport Mill W/ 2 axis CNC control
    South bend lathe 10LX40
    K.O. Lee surface grinder 6X18
    Over 20 years as a Machinist Toolmaker
    A TWO CAR garage full of tools and a fridge full of beer
    Auto shades are for rookies
    www.KLStottlemyer.com

No it really sounds like a great machine and ill get one soon, I dont know what these other guys were saying but a welder like that would fit my application perfectly. They probably were not using them correctly. But yea the whole reason why i want one is that is plugs into the leads on the TB. Thanks for all the input.
    strictly: Maybe they have an allegiance with "Brand L."

Like Andy mentioned, (I didn't think of it) the 8 RC plugs right into the 14 pin remote on the front of the TB. You would then use the "bottom half" of the process selector (remote wire feeder).

Keep in mind, when using this function and the 8 or 12 RC, the TB won't idle down as long as the feeder is plugged in and turned on. Unlike the 8 or 12 VS that works "across the arc," and like using a stinger, the TB will idle down after welding.

The RC is definetly a more accurate, constant speed feeder, giving a "truer" reading, but it also costs around $150.00 more. But, what the heck, when you're spending that kind of money, whats another $100

It all comes down to your needs.

Which ever one you decide on, you'll really like it.

Dave
    "Bonne journe'e mes amis"

Probably better off with the 12VS for its larger wire roll capability, unless your doing alot of in pipe or underground utility work. A comparible choice would be a Lincoln LN-15 with it's wrap around roll cage.

I had bought a bunch of the small 8VS and the LN-15s. Took forever to get them out the door, just because of the small roll capabilitys.

As for using a VS feeder on the likes of a Synchrowave, or other CC machine only dual shield wire will work satisfactory.