Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default best tungsten holder

Do you guys use pin vices when you grind your tungsten? And if so where did you get them I'm looking for a really good black one..

Plain old fingers.

Enco or McMaster Carr have a decent selection of pin vises. I don't personally see the benefit they'd offer for the task.
    Syncrowave 250DX
    Invison 354MP
    XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 81
    Smith O/A rig
    And more machinery than you can shake a 7018 rod at

Thumbs up

I have been using a pin vise to hold my tungstens for grinding.. for many many years...

tungsten can get pretty hot and burn fingers while getting ground.... the pin vise stops that...

it also gives you much more control for short tungstens used with flat backcaps or on stubby torches like the 24 series...

just my 2cents worth..
    Last edited by H80N; 12-22-2013 at 05:12 AM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

Only ever use a drill to give it a nice even point

Quote Originally Posted by H80N View Post
    I have been using a pin vise to hold my tungstens for grinding.. for many many years...

tungsten can get pretty hot and burn fingers while getting ground.... the pin vise stops that...

it also gives you much more control for short tungstens used with flat backcaps or on stubby torches like the 24 series...

just my 2cents worth..
    If you don't glob them up so much, it doesn't generate as much heat putting the point back on them.

I see the time used to always put them in the pin vise and any cool down delay needed as a wash, but generally still favors not using the vise. Even with the little stubbies, they don't get all that hot unless you really booger them up.

Everyone's different though. I certainly don't fault you for what you find works best.
    Syncrowave 250DX
    Invison 354MP
    XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
    Smith O/A rig

Pin vise has worked just fine for me over 40+ years..

but to each his own...

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

I never said it didn't work for you. I said it takes longer than not using it.
    Syncrowave 250DX
    Invison 354MP
    XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
    Smith O/A rig

Drill for me. Been using a drill for 10yrs now
    Syncrowave 250
    Millermatic 210
    dialarc 250