Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default New miller 211 spool gun issues

Hello, first I'm not much of a welder but have been trying to learn mig aluminum welding, had a 185 then used a 251 with 30a
    Got bunch of 1/8 plate and angel scraps , now just got a 211 today and tried the spool gun a whole different feel, sound, and results!!! Burnt 6 tips in 15 min!
    Why does it seam so different that the 251? Not that I'm sure it will be ok but never had that much trouble with burn back?
    using 35 wire 35 tip standard wire. I saw in another post tonight, people talking about some mods and things to help with burn back ? Any help will help thanks!

The 211 and SM100 are designed to run 4043. Keep the wire feed speed high.
    My opinion is that .035 is too large for the 211,I believe you'll have better luck wth
    211/SM100 compared to a 251/30A is like comparing roller skates to a Cadillac.

Default 211. Or 251

Quote Originally Posted by big mike View Post
    The 211 and SM100 are designed to run 4043. Keep the wire feed speed high.
    My opinion is that .035 is too large for the 211,I believe you'll have better luck wth
    211/SM100 compared to a 251/30A is like comparing roller skates to a Cadillac.
    Tell me why? I don't understand ?
    if a welder has enough power why would one work better than the other?
    Thank you!

Fishbum, I just got my 211 with the spool gun and had the same problems you are having. The tapered tips are the problem. Check with Bob, aka aametalmaster on this forum. He fixed my gun to use the standard mig gun tips and my problem was solved. Also the 4043 is the best wire I've found so far. Check out my latest post about no penetration. There's some good info there about this topic. I love my 211 now that I have gotten used to it. Keep trying, it will be worth it. You need to just send your gun barrel to Bob. He's the solution, and a great guy to deal with.

Default Spool gun

Quote Originally Posted by Redfishtony View Post
    Fishbum, I just got my 211 with the spool gun and had the same problems you are having. The tapered tips are the problem. Check with Bob, aka aametalmaster on this forum. He fixed my gun to use the standard mig gun tips and my problem was solved. Also the 4043 is the best wire I've found so far. Check out my latest post about no penetration. There's some good info there about this topic. I love my 211 now that I have gotten used to it. Keep trying, it will be worth it. You need to just send your gun barrel to Bob. He's the solution, and a great guy to deal with.
    Thanks, I saw that post! Lots of good info! Will make that contact with Bob,
    Is this something he is just doing or is he doing it for a fee? Doesn't mater either way just don't want to expect something. Again thanks!

Default Spool gun issues

Thank you Bob! Did the tip mod and so far what a difference!! Ran about 20 test welds and no burnt tips!!

I can't imagine why Miller makes them with the tapered tips. After Bob fixed mine its actually fun to use. At first I was ready to throw in the towel. Thanks again Bob.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Redfishtony View Post
    I can't imagine why Miller makes them with the tapered tips. After Bob fixed mine its actually fun to use. At first I was ready to throw in the towel. Thanks again Bob.
    I thought the same thing 13 years ago when i got to thinking about how to do a conversion...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

So why does Miller not use your design?
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by fishbum View Post
    Tell me why? I don't understand ?
    if a welder has enough power why would one work better than the other?
    Thank you!
    5356 needs higher wire feed speed and more voltage than the 211/SM100 was designed to produce. .030 would take a lower voltage and wire feed speed and may work on lighter material.
    Burn back on aluminum is aggrevated by low wire feed speed.
    The larger the wire the higher the wire feed speed and voltage it takes to run it.
    Does that help?