Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Hybrid View

Post Welder certification

What does passing the v groove plate test with backing qualify you for? If you pass it in all positions can you go weld on structural steel?

I haven't really been able to get an answer.

Default Welder certification

depends if your wanting d1.1 or d1.3. I'm d1.1 cert and I can't weld on anything less than a 1/8 inch 1.3 is basically sheet metal I'm told. As far as test it cost 200$ all I did was a 3G and 4g. 1/2 inch plate test. no power tools allowed for cleaning.

Smaw I suppose.
    3/8" plate test certifies you for 3/4" max structural.
    3/4" plate test certifies you for unlimited thickness structural.

Then you have positions.
    What you want to get is vertical up
    & overhead to cover. All.

Have a grinder handy some inspectors let you use them.

Use a coarse sanding pad or flapper wheel to prep plates and backing plate where your welding. (Before tacking together)

Get comfortable relax and take your time.

Your also only getting your test plates checked twice.

Once after your root pass. For penetration and no undercut. If you pass this inspection you can keep going if not. Youll. Have to test all over again at a later date.

Second after completing your cover pass. Also make sure to have no undercut.
    Good luck
    Miller Bobcat 225NT onan
    Millermatic 211
    Spoolmate 100
    (Retapped to fit regular mig tips)
    Work better & less parts to stock.
    Miller 130xp
    T/A Dragster 85 (portability 11 pounds)
    Oxygen/Acetylene torch set 50'
    2. 4-1/2" grinders
    1. 9" grinder
    14" Makita chop saw
    1/2" Aircat impact gun 900#

I hold an all position SMAW structural ticket with the Canadian Welding Bureau (CWB). CSA standard W47.1 class S
    This was done on 3/8" plate and qualifies me for 3mm-unlimited thickness carbon steel.
    The first time you do this test, you do all 4 positions. 2 years later to renew the ticket you do one plate. Vertical up root on the square side then over head for the rest of the plate.
    You can use a wire wheel but no grinder. All 1/8 7018 rod.
    Last edited by snoeproe; 12-22-2013 at 06:33 AM.
    Lincoln Idealarc 250 stick/tig
    Miller Bluestar 2E
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
    Torchmate CNC table

Ironworker Welder
    Operating engineer
    Owner/Operator Devlin Metal Works
    Custom CNC Plasma Cutting and Welding