Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default New welding hammer

I am currently welding 7018 in elevator shafts. Wouldn't think it but there's a lot of welding in there for structural attachments. With pressing schedules and challenging work areas (like welding off extension ladders) I am constantly trying to find ways to get faster. I started taping my flashlight to my chipping hammer and got rid of my flashlight grab check weld move. Thought this was such a good idea I made a patent and built a impact resistant light source into the chipping hammer. You can check out the demos on YouTube key word slagenator. Let me know what you think.

Quote Originally Posted by Slagenator View Post
    I am currently welding 7018 in elevator shafts. Wouldn't think it but there's a lot of welding in there for structural attachments. With pressing schedules and challenging work areas (like welding off extension ladders) I am constantly trying to find ways to get faster. I started taping my flashlight to my chipping hammer and got rid of my flashlight grab check weld move. Thought this was such a good idea I made a patent and built a impact resistant light source into the chipping hammer. You can check out the demos on YouTube key word slagenator. Let me know what you think.
    Heck with the hammer, I want to know about making the patent. I have three patents and they were very expensive and took a long time to be issued. If you know how to make one pulleeeze have mercy on the rest of us and share.

Default New chipping hammer

I started with a provisional patent which you can do yourself. I just went to the patent website USPTO and called the inventors help line. They got me going for a year protection for just over $100. A buddy from church told me about a patent attorney that was pretty cheap so I went to see him. He taught me how to do a patent search and if I took care of that part I could save $1000. After I took notes on my search and found the closest related items compared to what I was doing he did a check and we found no patents like this. So I filed for a hand held impact device with a light built in. After filing fees and a draftsman to draw everything it cost about $5000. Your right, it is expensive and quite a process. The patent is broad enough to use it in different manners like for geologist tools or fire fighter axes. I think the marketing is the hardest part of the new tool. I have a small welding shop and incorporated my business. Got a small inventory and have made and sold a few on the construction sites I work on. I am almost finished with a website to sell them. Got to set up an account with PayPal and finish assembling the small inventory I have made. Trying to convince the market of your new idea, now there is the challenge of the American dream.

Is the light reversable to use the ax side of the hammer too, or is it fixed so only the pointed end is lighted?

Default New hammer

It is reversible. Single LED, single AAA battery.