Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default just bought a new mm252, having gun issues

just above the nozzle sits a plastic ring that covers the upper end of the nozzle, crank up the welder and it melts, miller is aware of this, their responce, yep it does melt when the machine is pushed, pushed they say, i say used as designed, any one else seen this happen

Cool

I have melted bags of them in the last 2 years. Anything above 24V and she will melt. So i stay 23.3 and zero problems. I also use nozzle dip that's half dip and 1/2 water. I use mine 9 1/2 hours a day everyday...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Thats some good info, I still have not pushed my unit, but I do not use it to make a living. As allways good info to have.

shock collar I believe its called. really just another consumable in my book. just like tips. buy a bag of them and get over it. I think there about a buck each.

bob, do you have any problems taking the gun apart to put the collar on, its a crazy set up, brass, copper, fine threads close to .75" long. my gun came apart real hard, i can see issues here down the road, is this a problem, taking it apart after a while. thanks. kevin

bob i need to type fast,the forum times out after a few minutes when i reply??????????. wouldnt you think miller would do a better job with the gun, the welder is great, sprays real nice, except the gun melts??????????

Talk to your dealer and see if they'll help you into a better gun.
    Syncrowave 250DX
    Invison 354MP
    XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 81
    Smith O/A rig
    And more machinery than you can shake a 7018 rod at

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by kevin View Post
    bob, do you have any problems taking the gun apart to put the collar on, its a crazy set up, brass, copper, fine threads close to .75" long. my gun came apart real hard, i can see issues here down the road, is this a problem, taking it apart after a while. thanks. kevin
    Yes i do. The fine threads will strip off. I do use neverseeze too. I have stripped the necks on 2 guns and just dug thru the dumpster a few days ago and found a donor neck to swap out. Told the buyer to order me 2 spare necks as they are simple enough to replace...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

I had similar issues with mine, but also after a few years my gun seemed to just be falling apart. I needed a new liner for my cord so ended up just getting a whole new setup off e-bay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/HTP-Miller-1...item2ecb7f941c
    That gun itself is made much better and solved all my issues. It uses all the same consumables as the factory m-25 gun. I haven't melted the shock collar yet but since it's the same I probably will, just haven't welded hot enough with it yet.

I switched to a Bernard Q gun and in my opinion it is a much better unit. I saved my M-25 for a backup gun. A good welder such as the 252 deserves an equally capable gun.
    Nick