Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Ultraviolet Rays

I hear some about UV - B rays from the sun and the affects of it to help us produce vitamin D. From what I can find out, welding produces the same type of skin burning rays, just much more intense.

I'm starting to think there is more to your health and feeling well when you weld as opposed to when you don't. Even a day behind the arc makes me feel so much better than the days I don't see / feel the light.

I don't drink coffee, but maybe burning a couple rods could be just as uplifting as a cup of joe?

Its probably more of a mental thing than a healthy practice but then again, happy is healthy.

What do you guys think about it?

http://health.usnews.com/health-news...-for-vitamin-d

http://www.ccohs.ca/oshanswers/phys_...radiation.html

Quote Originally Posted by Hardrock40 View Post
    I hear some about UV - B rays from the sun and the affects of it to help us produce vitamin D. From what I can find out, welding produces the same type of skin burning rays, just much more intense.

I'm starting to think there is more to your health and feeling well when you weld as opposed to when you don't. Even a day behind the arc makes me feel so much better than the days I don't see / feel the light.

I don't drink coffee, but maybe burning a couple rods could be just as uplifting as a cup of joe?

Its probably more of a mental thing than a healthy practice but then again, happy is healthy.

http://health.usnews.com/health-news...-for-vitamin-d

http://www.ccohs.ca/oshanswers/phys_...radiation.html
    Just please remember that welding UV exposure is damaging and CUMULATIVE...

Here is a thread worth reading...

http://shopfloortalk.com/forums/show...light=melanoma

the latter part of that thread deals with UV damage and the dangers of skin cancer/melanoma...
    Last edited by H80N; 12-13-2013 at 11:31 AM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus Mills, Lathes & a Rat Tail File..

Good reading H80N.

Yea, I hope nobody thinks I was suggesting to weld without PPE.

Just saying I always feel better when I have a project going on. I have noticed it again this week.
    I had one small job Monday. Now Friday I feel like I've been hit by a truck. Been working OT on regular job but not that much.

Anyway, with all the dangers of welding, there might be a hidden benefit we don't know about.

Think I'll have a cup of coffee.

Thumbs up

Good reading H80N.

Yea, I hope nobody thinks I was suggesting to weld without PPE.

No ... I never thought that...

just wanted to make sure that some of the newbies that might read the thread would see all sides of it...

all of the sunburn or Welding UV exposure adds up.. and can cause real problems when we get older... better to be careful when young..

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus Mills, Lathes & a Rat Tail File..

Since I don't know nothin' 'bout doctorin' I suggest you ask your own doctor about the effects of UV during your next visit to get the definitive answer. It's a serious matter. As H80N said, it is cumulative, which means, like so many things, it tends to show up more as we age.

Well.... You shouldn't be feeling the light iffin' yer wearing PPE

But I know what yer saying

I imagine just the motions of working with metal put you in a good mood.

I know I always feel a good tired when I finish a project that I enjoyed.

Where as I don't feel good tired on projects that I didn't enjoy

I just feel tired!
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

Yea Joe, I guess I need to get a doctor, haven't really got one. Scared to go due to all the things he might find.

I understand that cumulative affect, just another worry, didn't care when I was younger but I do now.

Broc, that's kind of funny, I had a job not to long ago that made me question if I really wanted to rush out and fix things. Took a few days to get over it. But most things go well and keeps the drive alive.

C'mon people! Everyone knows all the hot babes dig melanoma!

Nothing like having a 10/10 cutie stroke your cancer and say "metastasize for me, big man!".

Even cooler, skin cancer is treatable. Just like rusty metal. Cut out the bad parts, weld in new, and instead of an X-ray weld test you get radiation and chemotherapy.

This being a family forum I won't link to "skin cancer surgery" images.

Never thought of this being a family forum, honestly. More like a weld shop or bar. talking tools trucks & welders. A place to de-stress after work. I also feel good when welding. Its like meditation.
    Miller Bobcat 225NT onan
    Millermatic 211
    Spoolmate 100
    (Retapped to fit regular mig tips)
    Work better & less parts to stock.
    Miller 130xp
    T/A Dragster 85 (portability 11 pounds)
    Oxygen/Acetylene torch set 50'
    2. 4-1/2" grinders
    1. 9" grinder
    14" Makita chop saw
    1/2" Aircat impact gun 900#