Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Snow plow rack.

Default Snow plow rack.

Hey guys i don't have picts because i forgot to take them but i have a dump truck plow rack to repair. The beam on the left side that goes under to the front axle is cracked. The beam is 5 inches wide and 4 inches tall by 1/4" thick. its broke thru the top and down the side about an inch. I am going to plate the top with some 3/4" steel on top (clearance is an issue on the top plate). Then i am going to weld in a 17" piece of 1/4" thick channel that fits tight inside the beam. Of course i'll grind the cracks out and weld them up first. Oh its a newer rack with no rust at all.
    My question, i have 6011 and 7018 rods. Which one should i use to weld the cracks up and then the channel and plate. I might not get the penetration with 7018?. I have 125 amps dc available to me and i know my Miller 211 doesn't have the power needed. Thanks for any info. I know with out picts its hard.
    HH 210MVP
    Spoolrunner 100
    Powercraft AC buzz box
    Lotas LTP5000D plasma
    Victor Oxy/Acet
    30 ton press
    A few brand name tools
    Lots of no name tools
    A wife to worry me
    and 4 dogs to supervise me

Default Snow plow rack.

Run a 6011 root and 7018 cap. Or just the 7018.

MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

Thanks guys...........
    HH 210MVP
    Spoolrunner 100
    Powercraft AC buzz box
    Lotas LTP5000D plasma
    Victor Oxy/Acet
    30 ton press
    A few brand name tools
    Lots of no name tools
    A wife to worry me

The miller 211 will do 3/8" on 220 volt, did it today on mine

Hey guy's sorry i was so long posting the pictures. Here are a few pictures of the snow plow rack i have repaired. Yes it is a big truck plow rack for a single axle GMC top kick. The rack pins to the front bumper which had a push plate fastened to the bumper. The I beams run under the truck and stop about 2 inches short of the front axle. There is a 1/4" plate the width of the I beams welded on the bottom of the I beams and it runs under the front axle. Also there is a 3/4" steel L bracket welded to a cross piece on the I beam to support the rack on top of the axle.
    The repair- I ground out the crack which ran across all the way and down the I beam about an inch. I then welded it up using 7018 DCEP which i am very slow and not the best at but it burned in well and once ground flat looked great. I had a co-worker cut a piece of 3/4" steel notched to fit around the racks bumper bracket (a bad move on my part because the notch was cut to large). I found a piece of 5" channel that fit into the I beam perfectly. The weld areas were ground clean. I used the mm 211 to weld it all up. 9 & 90 i think on the knobs. 3/8" I beam 3/4"" plate and 3/8" channel thickness. Confusing i know because i don't have a picture of the entire rack. Surprisingly the 211 had plenty of power. I paused a little longer on the plate when welding it.

photo 4.JPGphoto 1.JPGphoto 2.JPGphoto 3.JPG
    HH 210MVP
    Spoolrunner 100
    Powercraft AC buzz box
    Lotas LTP5000D plasma
    Victor Oxy/Acet
    30 ton press
    A few brand name tools
    Lots of no name tools
    A wife to worry me

Looks like a decent repair. Did you do anything to the other I-beam to strengthen it?
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

5" channel inside the other I beam should help.
    HH 210MVP
    Spoolrunner 100
    Powercraft AC buzz box
    Lotas LTP5000D plasma
    Victor Oxy/Acet
    30 ton press
    A few brand name tools
    Lots of no name tools
    A wife to worry me