Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

The way you describe the ramps "to get in my shop" Im guessing you need a short "bridge" to get over a slab of concrete and in the door rather than a set of ramps to change oil and the like.

IF that is the case, I doubt youll be happy using pipe for the ramp. Rolling your steer tires up will not be an issue but the drive tires will not work well climbing up something round. Look at car trailer ramps, nobody uses round. If that pipe gets the slightest bit damp all you will do is spin. Make it an angle instead, or even expanded metal. Give the tires something to grab a hold of.
    Who do you call when the lawmakers ignore the law?

Miller AC/DC Thunderbolt 225
    Miller 180 w/Autoset
    Old cutting torch on LPG

Quote Originally Posted by Bistineau View Post
    If this pipe is disconnected and has been open for awhile, there should be no problem welding on it. Cut it to length and get after it. Post pix of the build and finished results.
    Is there going to be any pics of the build when your done with it? I would like to know how they work out after you drive over them. Before and after pics maybe.

Is there going to be any pics of the build when your done with it? I would like to know how they work out after you drive over them. Before and after pics maybe.
    Thanks for the input. I'll let you know how they turn out and put up pics when I can.

Default Welding black pipe (recently salvaged gas pipe)

Do a little trial and error. Build your ramps and set them on a 4x4 (wood) on solid ground and drive said vehicles on them. If they fail then you haven't damaged your car and you can build bigger.

I doubt the pipe would be saturated to point of explosion. I probably wouldn't be making ramps out of said pipe but would use it for projects.

Weld on...

Just checking in to see if you started this project yet. If so, how is it turning out? Even IF it is not successful, post the results so someone else may learn about it later.

Just checking in to see if you started this project yet. If so, how is it turning out? Even IF it is not successful, post the results so someone else may learn about it later.
    Sometimes the posters get tied up in the moment and forget to respond. Not saying that about this on. But, some get 20 responses and don't even come back to their own post. Well, I guess it sometimes is hard to find time in todays world. MERRY CHRISTMAS

Quote Originally Posted by BD1 View Post
    Sometimes the posters get tied up in the moment and forget to respond. Not saying that about this on. But, some get 20 responses and don't even come back to their own post. Well, I guess it sometimes is hard to find time in todays world. MERRY CHRISTMAS
    Well he has been on here today and did not say a word on this thread. I'm thinking the black iron pipe folded when he tried to drive up on it, and now he doesn't want to admit it. Either that or he has not tried it yet. I will keep checking back to find out the out come, IF he posts it.

Default Newbie with an idea.

I'm new to welding and metal working but have plenty of mechanical and building experience.
    A thought I had to spread the weight over more than one piece of pipe and also to keep the car from bumping up and down each rung is to add a piece of flat bar up the middle of the rungs. Idk, maybe 1/4 or 3/16 by 2" wide. That should spread the load and make a smoother drive up, no?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob61 View Post
    Thanks for the input. I'll let you know how they turn out and put up pics when I can.
    Is there any update on this project? I am getting curious as to whether this worked out or not. Have you even attempted to make these ramps or not? Have you scrapped the idea of making these?

I've been thinking the same thing. I'd like to know how it worked out.