Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Chipping hammer with a light

I've been welding in dark elevator shafts for years. I started to tape my flashlight to my chipping hammer. Others I work with started doing the sandy hong do I decided to patent the idea. Check out the website slagenator.com. Let me know if its a good idea or a waste of money.

I dunno it seems easier/cheaper to have a head lamp /light mounted on your shield

Default New to welding but...

I'm not too sure about a light on a hammer either. The point of the hammer is to hit things. From my experience flashlights and shock don't get along.

The headlight idea sounds like a good one. Then you'd have light when you needed your hammer and it would be hands free.

I do a lot of welding off ladders and out of position with fall protection on and a stinger lead pulling on me. I have head lights and helmet lights and drop lights and halogen lights. The flashlight on my head makes me move my head to move my light, not a fan of doing that all day. I use the flashlight for weld inspection not for aiming at the slag. It does aid slightly while chipping. But it's primary purpose is to identify missed slag or identifying undercut, you know how to shine a light at the weld toes and see the shadow undercut makes. If this can be accomplished with me holding on for life with one hand and cleaning off my weld with the other and I can remove the grab the flashlight step, it makes me more efficient and safe because u can get out of the situation quicker with less moves. If all you do is weld in comfy positions all day I don't expect the slagenator to make sense to you. But if you weld where a bad move can hurt you then one less move is awesome. This is what I do, not some idealist sitting around dreaming up good ideas like my project manager.

You wanted our thoughts if it's a good idea or not and I work as a boilermaker in all kinds of heavy industry and it's never well lit. I just don't think it's something I would buy for 50$ when I can buy a headlamp and a flashlight for that and also the type of chipping hammer it's on is the standard cheap one that is basically useless after a few weeks. Maybe if they were attached to a good chipping hammer like a tomahawk might be worth it. Just my thoughts. Maybe others will love them.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan128 View Post
    You wanted our thoughts if it's a good idea or not and I work as a boilermaker in all kinds of heavy industry and it's never well lit. I just don't think it's something I would buy for 50$ when I can buy a headlamp and a flashlight for that and also the type of chipping hammer it's on is the standard cheap one that is basically useless after a few weeks. Maybe if they were attached to a good chipping hammer like a tomahawk might be worth it. Just my thoughts. Maybe others will love them.
    I've been on the same hammer for a couple of months and besides changing the batteries and an occasional tip grind the slagenator is holding up. I have just about every chipping hammer made, the employer is buying so I get whatever I order. When I reach for a chipper I usually grab my slagenator. The price is reflected in the quality of a flashlight you buy. What do we normally pay for a decent light by itself. So you get a two in one chip and light. If you tried it you'd like it. I'm a full tool making welder on the spit. I've cut the light off the handle and welded onto my wooden handle, then cut it off and put it back on the side of my est wing bought a new hammer cut it off that and reused it that way. The amour and the light to hold up against impact is the true value. I think at least.

Default A light attached to your wrist.

I recently saw in a gun magazine a light that attaches to your wrist. Maybe similar to a wristband. I thunk its made by surefire, so its gonna be high power. Might be something else to keep in mind.

Default Nice idea.

I too spend a lot of time welding in elevator shafts, but I usually have at least a

500 watt halogen on the crosshead, ( on big cars 2 lights).

With laying out rail brackets, or sill angles

I need the light for layout / fabrication work. In your

youtube video, it looks like you are welding, sill angles

for hoist way doors, and I have to say in modernization and

construction,

so much of the work is in the hoist way, thats why we hang

lights. Nice idea, for on

for on the fly repairs, or tight spots on machine beams, or blocking beams.

Work safe.

If it holds up from hitting metal or dropping it or just throwing it around it would probably be good for what you are doing . I think chipping hammers have a pretty rough life . My 2 cents .

When the light is hanging off the cross like I have in the second video, the welding behind the rail is always in the shadow of the rail, requiring an additional light to check for final weld. Welding in a hospital, in seismic zone with these types of inspections there will be no flaws and the light these inspectors put on my welds are a new kind of bright.

The fab work and layout is always done with tack welds all around and I come back and do the final weld down.

Typically I use a different tool up when I fab or do production welds in the hoistway. The slagenator has always given me the edge when welding in a multi car bank and we all start welding at the same time. By using the lighted hammer I'm normally about 30 minutes ahead of the other welders in the other hoistways who don't use the slagenator.

Now they all have one and I need to come up with another way to get my edge.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeiuec7 View Post
    I too spend a lot of time welding in elevator shafts, but I usually have at least a

500 watt halogen on the crosshead, ( on big cars 2 lights).

With laying out rail brackets, or sill angles

I need the light for layout / fabrication work. In your

youtube video, it looks like you are welding, sill angles

for hoist way doors, and I have to say in modernization and

construction,

so much of the work is in the hoist way, thats why we hang

lights. Nice idea, for on

for on the fly repairs, or tight spots on machine beams, or blocking beams.

Work safe.