Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Miller copyright question

Found a picture I'd like to use on a personal business card, but not sure if it would be infringing on any of Miller's copyrights.

WeldAmerica-1024x768.jpg
    Syncrowave 200
    Millermatic 252
    Spoolmatic 30A aluminum gun
    Miller Spectrum 625 X-Treme
    Maxstar 150 S
    Miller Bobcat 250
    Sketchup 8 Pro

Two big fire extinguishers

"I'm a slow walker, but I never walk backwards" - Abraham Lincoln

Basic Copyright law = No, you are not allowed to reproduce the Logo unless you have the owner's permission.

Corporations have very strict rules on how their Logo can be used so I doubt they will give you permission.
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

I hope some official from Miller would chime in here. I use all Miller equipment. I see welding businesses with stickers with the Miller logo on them all the time. So if you had it on a card signifying the kind of equipment you use, I think it would be free advertising.
    Anyone commenting from Miller with the policy would be appreciated.
    Syncrowave 200
    Millermatic 252
    Maxstar 150 S
    Miller Bobcat 250
    Sketchup 8 Pro

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Gobysky View Post
    I hope some official from Miller would chime in here. I use all Miller equipment. I see welding businesses with stickers with the Miller logo on them all the time. So if you had it on a card signifying the kind of equipment you use, I think it would be free advertising.
    Anyone commenting from Miller with the policy would be appreciated.
    Don't give up yet...

our opinion does not matter...

BUT

if you are advertising that you proudly use Miller equipment... that does sound like fair use...

I have seen many independant welder's business cards with the Miller logo proclaiming they use Miller equipment ... so this would not be a new situation...

All you need is confirmation from an official at Miller...

we could just bump this thread to keep it near the top till you get a response...
    Last edited by H80N; 12-12-2013 at 12:47 PM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

Found a picture I'd like to use on a personal business card, but not sure if it would be infringing on any of Miller's copyrights.

WeldAmerica-1024x768.jpg
    Hi Gobysky,
    Email your request to use the image (and the image you would like to use) to webmaster@millerwelds.com. They'll be able to help you from there!

Thanks,
    Miller Welding Forums Administrator

Default Miller copyright question

Thank you
    Syncrowave 200
    Millermatic 252
    Maxstar 150 S
    Miller Bobcat 250
    Sketchup 8 Pro

Thumbs up

Thank you
    Please Keep Us Posted on how that goes....

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

Default As per your request

Quote Originally Posted by H80N View Post
    Please Keep Us Posted on how that goes....

They said we couldn't use their Wallpaper on our cards, but directed me to this site ( http://images.millerwelds.com/main.php ) of images of their products that we could use.

I'm fairly good with Photoshop, I'll have to take the time to create my own proprietary image. Lots of good ideas you can Google, and then work from there.
    Syncrowave 200
    Millermatic 252
    Maxstar 150 S
    Miller Bobcat 250
    Sketchup 8 Pro

They said we couldn't use their Wallpaper on our cards, but directed me to this site ( http://images.millerwelds.com/main.php ) of images of their products that we could use.

I'm fairly good with Photoshop, I'll have to take the time to create my own proprietary image. Lots of good ideas you can Google, and then work from there.
    http://images.millerwelds.com/miller...idelines_F.pdf

Don't forget to read the guidelines
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

Default Copyright vs Trademark

It's a minor distinction, but still one worth noting. The image most likely would not be covered by copyright law, but rather by trademark. The process for registering is different, as are the laws regarding usage. For example, some copyrighted material can be reproduced without permission (Doctrine of Fair Use) but the rules are very strict and can easily be misinterpreted. However, trademarks must have permission for reuse and that is very difficult to obtain.