Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Recommend machines please....

New here, did some stick welding (not as a profession) 30+ years ago. Retiring soon and looking to buy a machine to do some work on steel as well as aluminum, on cars, trucks, quads, trailers etc. 1/8"-3/16" tubing as well. Don't see working on anything thicker than 3/8" in either metal but you don't know. Not a fan of buying just big enough to get buy in anything I believe in buying just a tad bigger than needed so I will not run short and will not have to run what I do get at full throttle all the time to keep up. For those times when you need just a bit more.

Millermatic 211 auto set??? , Diversion 180??? , Multimatic w/tig kit??? These are just some I have looked at the most online. I hope some of you can recommend something to me, please do and thanks in advance for your help.......
    Buying timeline probably in the next 5 months...

There are a lot of people that will spend your money your money your choice.

Also you dont say what your budget is.

And last but not least welcome to the forum.

Question First: Which Process?? MIG or TIG..??.....

Quote Originally Posted by Rredhawkk View Post
    New here, did some stick welding (not as a profession) 30+ years ago. Retiring soon and looking to buy a machine to do some work on steel as well as aluminum, on cars, trucks, quads, trailers etc. 1/8"-3/16" tubing as well. Don't see working on anything thicker than 3/8" in either metal but you don't know. Not a fan of buying just big enough to get buy in anything I believe in buying just a tad bigger than needed so I will not run short and will not have to run what I do get at full throttle all the time to keep up. For those times when you need just a bit more.

Millermatic 211 auto set??? , Diversion 180??? , Multimatic w/tig kit??? These are just some I have looked at the most online. I hope some of you can recommend something to me, please do and thanks in advance for your help.......
    Buying timeline probably in the next 5 months...
    Welcome Aboard...

there have been a tremendous amount of threads on just that question..
    you might find it useful, even sometimes entertaining to read and observe some of those threads and the opinions and reasoning... discussions can sometimes get quite heated..
    ............. an ample illustration of everybody's differing needs and viewpoints

MIG is probably the easiest to get started with... if you intend Aluminum you must factor in a spoolgun..

TIG is a bit more difficult to learn but the most versatile, controlable & precise..
    if you intend to do Aluminum.. the machine you choose must be AC capable.. as well as DC....
    HF start and pedal or finger amp control... are very useful as well...

an examination of what you really want accomplish with a welder will help to shape your choice

AND..as said your budget will narrow down your machine choices as well...

Another factor that you need to keep in mind is the quantity of power available in your garage/shop... 120/240..?? amps??
    Last edited by H80N; 12-09-2013 at 11:30 AM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus Mills, Lathes & a Rat Tail File..

Default Recommend machines please

I knew I could count on help here. And thank you very much. My budget will be $3000 or less. I'm not opening up a fabrication shop instead more what I would call a tinkers den for my pleasure. Of course if the opportunity come up where I could make a few bucks either as a hobby or a actual dedicated small time production of things I would welcome that with great joy.

Retirement to me does not mean death it means the chance to pursue other interests, I'll ride my Harley Ultra Classic till I can't keep it up anymore then I'll simply get a smaller bike that I can handle and ride till I go out for good.

Thanks , I will go and read some of those posts you mentioned and try to cram some intelligence into the cavern between my ears. From what I saw so far there is a machine out there for me, neat , portable, light weight, and more than capable to do what I need. I will keep you informed , MERRY CHRISTMAS to all....... And to all a good night... Please keep the women and men in our armed forces in your thoughts, their sacrifice means our freedom

Quote Originally Posted by Rredhawkk View Post
    I knew I could count on help here. And thank you very much. My budget will be $3000 or less. I'm not opening up a fabrication shop instead more what I would call a tinkers den for my pleasure. Of course if the opportunity come up where I could make a few bucks either as a hobby or a actual dedicated small time production of things I would welcome that with great joy.

Retirement to me does not mean death it means the chance to pursue other interests, I'll ride my Harley Ultra Classic till I can't keep it up anymore then I'll simply get a smaller bike that I can handle and ride till I go out for good.

Thanks , I will go and read some of those posts you mentioned and try to cram some intelligence into the cavern between my ears. From what I saw so far there is a machine out there for me, neat , portable, light weight, and more than capable to do what I need. I will keep you informed , MERRY CHRISTMAS to all....... And to all a good night... Please keep the women and men in our armed forces in your thoughts, their sacrifice means our freedom
    A couple of more questions.....

where are you located..??

and are you averse to used equipment..??

again... available power will help shape welder choices..
    Last edited by H80N; 12-09-2013 at 05:46 PM.

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 200

H80N, Great advise.
    However, I'm going to jump the gun and assume a few things.

#1 Assuming that he has a 40amp 230v service A miller matic mig welder with a 14 pin hook up for a future spool gun would be a great option.

A new 250 amp miller mig welder is rated for 1/2" and is just a little bigger than what you asked for.cost is approx. $ 2,400.00 new.

When it comes to Tig aluminum The down fall of a 250amp synchrowave is that it will pull 100amps on a 230V circuit.

So a better choice might be a 200amp synchrowave.
    Once again check out the power requirements.
    You should be able to find a used one in the $ 1,500.00 range.

Give us a little more in put.

Located in Northeast Pa. , just outside of Scranton.

Used equipment I'm on the fence, The few things outside of cars and trucks that I bought used usually didn't workout for me, I'm not saying I wouldn't buy a used machine but the secure blanket of a few years warranty does help me sleep better at night.

My power was something that I was thinking about and I was going to bring that up. I have a 50 amp circuit breaker and wired circuit available I my garage service box that was used for the electric stove, if I pulled that line back to the box I would have at least a 40-50 ' line to work with if that would be enough to power a welder.

Ok have to go for a bit thanks guys it's an experience but I will get to the bottom of this and do some more research and pick your on your talent some more.

I do have a authorized service center (Miller) less than 10 miles from me where I can I assume go and pick up a few ideas to.

Thumbs up

Sent you a PM...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 200

Smile

Based on info you have given thus far... interests, power avail, budget etc....

you might take a look at the Miller Syncrowave 210 AC/DC TIG Welder 907596

it is a new model.. but have heard very good things about it..

http://www.millerwelds.com/products/...p?model=M00488

Street price of about $2600 Delivered.. ready to fly.. all you add is an argon bottle..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Miller-Syncr...item5af82710cf

you could TIG weld an aluminum bracket or delicate tube luggage rack on a motorcycle in the morning... then stick weld the drawbar on a tractor in the afternoon...

it might make sense for you.... more capable than a Diversion 180 while less expensive than a Dynasty 200DX...

Here is a thread recently started on the Sync 210

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...Syncrowave-210
    Last edited by H80N; 12-11-2013 at 08:46 AM.

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 200

H80n got the PM thanks, I tried to reply to it hope you got my mail.

A bit pressed for time now but will chase down the recommends you sent today on the sync machine. Get back to you on those later on.