Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default TIG welding near airport with high frequency

I plan to use a Hobart 1611 high frequency arc stabilizer very near an international runway. Would it cause any communication problems with aircraft?
    I read once that the FCC disapproves of this. Any info. much appreciated.
    I love this website !

I would not expect it to bother anything or to have enough amplitude or be on a frequency that would matter.. unless it is inside the airplane

how close would you be to the aircraft??

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

As a retired airline pilot and an aircraft mechanic, I guarantee you if there is any interference they will let you know about. Shouldn't be any problem. I used cellphones etc. in the cockpit for years without interference.

Thumbs up

I have seen an awful lot of TIG machines in hangers over the years...

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

I doubt it's a problem. Cell phones etc causing interference with airplanes is overrated and unsubstantiated. In fact i have read a few articles that the FAA was planning to lift the cell phone ban in commercial airplanes.

My father in law texted me recently from the air just because he was allowed to.

Shop I used to work at was on the airports airfield. Never had an issue.
    Miller syncrowave 200 runner with coolmate 4
    and wp2025 weldcraft torch
    Miller 125c plasma cutter

Air Force bases have TIG machines aplenty and some are fairly near the flight line.

I've never heard of any problems when I was a Comm/Nav troop.