Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Again, seems pretty clear to me,,,,, plug your grinder into the wall socket.
    Obviously, I'm just a hack-artist, you shouldn't be listening to anything I say .....

With regards to a modern inverter, I wouldn't plug anything into a aux power receptacle. (including a cooler)

Its not like the good ol days when the aux power circuit was just another winding in the transformer and a breaker.

With current inverters, AC input regardless of phase is rectified. Then this DC is provided to an Aux Power Board. This aux power board is then tasked with artificially producing 120v AC, along with providing service voltage to all control boards.

Should something happen to this board, it can spike any other board its connected to.

Have you seen a Dynasty 350 just outside of warranty with nearly all boards smoked? I have, on too many occasions.

My advise is to limit your exposure to situations like this and just use the wall receptacle. You purchased a welder, not a power converter for your 120v appliances.

Quote Originally Posted by GTA/SPEC View Post
    With regards to a modern inverter, I wouldn't plug anything into a aux power receptacle. (including a cooler)

Its not like the good ol days when the aux power circuit was just another winding in the transformer and a breaker.

With current inverters, AC input regardless of phase is rectified. Then this DC is provided to an Aux Power Board. This aux power board is then tasked with artificially producing 120v AC, along with providing service voltage to all control boards.

Should something happen to this board, it can spike any other board its connected to.

Have you seen a Dynasty 350 just outside of warranty with nearly all boards smoked? I have, on too many occasions.

My advise is to limit your exposure to situations like this and just use the wall receptacle. You purchased a welder, not a power converter for your 120v appliances.
    You may be right. Save the $500 CPS option and plug straight into the wall.
    Nothing welded, Nothing gained

Miller Dynasty700DX
    3 ea. Miller Dynasty350DX
    Miller Dynasty200DX
    ThermalArc 400 GTSW
    MillerMatic350P
    MillerMatic200 with spoolgun
    MKCobraMig260
    Lincoln SP-170T
    Linde UCC305 (sold 2011)
    Hypertherm 1250
    Hypertherm 800
    PlasmaCam CNC cutter
    Fadal Toolroom CNC Mill
    SiberHegner CNC Mill
    2 ea. Bridgeport
    LeBlond 15" Lathe
    Haberle 18" Cold Saw
    Doringer 14" Cold Saw
    6 foot x 12 foot Mojave granite

Wow, its a $500 dollar option??? I wasn't paying attention. That makes this a no brainer - wall plug.

Circuit breaker doesn't show up in line with the CPS's output making me think is was unprotected, however its likely pinned through other boards like some of the machine diagrams i've seen. Bad idea as the traces on these boards melt way before the breaker is hit. Or the circuit graphics guy just forgot about it.

Quote Originally Posted by cruizer View Post
    I get asked questions as to why something works the way it does, and what function does what. What machine I like or don't like. Sort of a independent advisor.. since I've been repairing machines for more than 20 years. If someone wanted a machine and called Miller, well that machine will be the best, same with Lincoln, Victor, ESAB Excetera..... I do know the ones that won't last and why, I know which engine drives to buy and ones to stay away from.
    Hey Cruizer! I know where you are coming from! I had a friend who repaired farm tractors for a living. I would tell him I didn't like something-then he would laugh-and tell me those were the ones that made him the most money! He loved stuff that broke down!

I own three Millers now-if they break I know who to ask how to fix them. And yes!-I will include the serial number! Lol

Question

Cruizer

Your efforts to get some facts and straight answers on this are appreciated

I have never seen a product introduction from ANYBODY with so many false starts fertilizer and foolishness

What ever happened to our access to engineering and technical people?? it is sorely missed

This is sounding too much like what is coming out of the White House these days for my comfort

I love the Miller equipment that I own and use now. But will hold back on the 280 series..

Just too many unanswered questions

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

Thank you all so very much for your interest in the Dynasty and Maxstar 280 products! We designed the receptacle in the back of the machine to allow for the Coolmate 1.3 to be automatically turned on when the welding powersource is turned on. As many have noticed, the Cooler Power Supply (CPS) is not a standard duplex receptacle. This was done for multiple reasons:

• A large percentage of industrial customers requested that we not use a standard duplex receptacle to prevent the use of grinders and other high power draw devices through the welder.

• Many industrial customers do not have 115-120V duplex receptacles readily available in their facility/welding stations. This can pose a challenge as it would require new electrical services to be installed or extension cords to be strung around the shop. If an industrial customer is moving the welding powersource around a shop or facility, it provides a convenience of only needing to make one electrical connection (to any voltage in the range of 208-575V).
    • Many customers wanted the cooler to be automatically turned on to help prevent torch failure caused by an operator forgetting to turn on the pump.

• With the compact size and weight needs being considered (in addition to those previously mentioned), the CPS was not designed to provide 15A. Although standard wall receptacles are typically rated at 15A, that does not necessarily mean the equipment powered through that receptacle will draw 15A. For reference, the Coolmate 1.3 is rated at 4.7A.

In response to the "false starts" with this product - Miller Electric is committed to providing a high quality product to its customers. Our products are tested both in the field as well as an accelerated life test before they are released. In addition, each individual Dynasty and Maxstar product that leaves our facility has been functionality tested and undergone a simulated weld load. These steps are put in place in order to ensure you are receiving a quality piece of equipment!
    Andrew Pfaller
    Product Manager
    Miller Electric Mfg. Co.

I am not sure what all the fuss is about. Mine has been fantastic. Yes, I have to plug the cooler into the wall. But I do not find that to be very hard to do.

When i heard there was a "water-cooled" version i thought the machine itself was water cooled. I thought the coolant went through the machine to cool the components like high end computers do. bummer. Then why is it even called a "water-cooled dynasty 280", the torch is water cooled. They should all have a plug in the back for a cooler. weird.
    Last edited by travisc454; 12-18-2013 at 09:24 AM.