Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Introducing the New Water-Cooled Dynasty® 280 and Maxstar® 280!

We are pleased to introduce the new Dynasty and Maxstar 280 water-cooled models and complete packages. The Dynasty 280 is an AC/DC TIG and Stick power source capable of welding up to 3/8” steel and 3/8” aluminum. The Maxstar 280 is a DC TIG and Stick power source capable of welding up to 3/8” steel. The Dynasty and Maxstar 280 are positioned to fill the gap between the 200A and 350A machines and are an encouraged replacement for the Syncrowave® 250.

All water-cooled models feature an integrated dedicated-use Cooler Power™ receptacle (Cooler Power Supply (CPS)) designed to power and operate the Coolmate™ 1.3. The power switch on the Dynasty and Maxstar activates the receptacle and helps prevent torch failure. Without the CPS, the Coolmate 1.3 would be required to plug into facility 115V power. For a water-cooled solution, TIGRunner™ and complete packages are available for purchase as well as the stand-alone machine.
    Last edited by Miller Welders; 12-10-2013 at 09:48 AM.

So from a technical view point there is really nothing special about this CPS, its just a standard 115 VAC receptacle that we'd find on most every welder. Its not simply activated in tig mode, instead its just on when the machine is turned on correct? So we could be stick welding away and the coolmate is turned on.

Quote Originally Posted by cruizer View Post
    So from a technical view point there is really nothing special about this CPS, its just a standard 115 VAC receptacle that we'd find on most every welder. Its not simply activated in tig mode, instead its just on when the machine is turned on correct? So we could be stick welding away and the coolmate is turned on.
    I would rather have a simple on and off when the machine is turned on. So if I chose to arc weld, I could have my exhaust fan plugged in and working.
    Nothing welded, Nothing gained

Miller Dynasty700DX
    3 ea. Miller Dynasty350DX
    Miller Dynasty200DX
    ThermalArc 400 GTSW
    MillerMatic350P
    MillerMatic200 with spoolgun
    MKCobraMig260
    Lincoln SP-170T
    Linde UCC305 (sold 2011)
    Hypertherm 1250
    Hypertherm 800
    PlasmaCam CNC cutter
    Fadal Toolroom CNC Mill
    SiberHegner CNC Mill
    2 ea. Bridgeport
    LeBlond 15" Lathe
    Haberle 18" Cold Saw
    Doringer 14" Cold Saw
    6 foot x 12 foot Mojave granite

Quote Originally Posted by cruizer View Post

cruizer,
    Per the request of many industrial customers, we used another fairly common receptacle instead of a standard duplex receptacle (often referred to as a wall outlet). Doing so will help eliminate misuse of the power provided out of the machine.
    At this time the Cooler is set to run as long as the power-source is turned on. This is to prevent torch failure if someone is switching back and forth between a GTAW (TIG) and a SMAW (Stick) process.

Still not sure why the cooler power supply is more complicated than it should be, why there is a special name for the simple molex " Special" plug to run it, and why its not ran off tig mode instead of all the time cooler (ATTC).

These are some of the questions I get asked.

In the past Miller referred to welders with a receptacle as having "auxiliary power." Because it is designed specifically to power the cooler, we decided upon "CPS." Because the receptacle is able to be controlled through software we wanted to leave the name open for future improvements if we develop a proven method to turn it off when not welding and still prevent torch overheating or failure.

Quote Originally Posted by Miller Welders View Post
    In the past Miller referred to welders with a receptacle as having "auxiliary power." Because the receptacle is able to be controlled through software we wanted to leave the name open for future improvements if we develop a proven method to turn it off when not welding and still prevent torch overheating or failure.
    Yeah, that is a problem for me, unless I can override the software. I just want full time power when the machine is turned on. I realize the sleep mode can be adjusted to 1 hour. I just want that water cooler to do the same.

In an earlier post, you said that adapters would be available for my Coolmate 3. Is that still the case?
    Nothing welded, Nothing gained

Miller Dynasty700DX
    3 ea. Miller Dynasty350DX
    Miller Dynasty200DX
    ThermalArc 400 GTSW
    MillerMatic350P
    MillerMatic200 with spoolgun
    MKCobraMig260
    Lincoln SP-170T
    Linde UCC305 (sold 2011)
    Hypertherm 1250
    Hypertherm 800
    PlasmaCam CNC cutter
    Fadal Toolroom CNC Mill
    SiberHegner CNC Mill
    2 ea. Bridgeport
    LeBlond 15" Lathe
    Haberle 18" Cold Saw
    Doringer 14" Cold Saw
    6 foot x 12 foot Mojave granite

Its funny though why the Miller Engineers can't come up with a proper system. Your main competitor, actually competitors have been using a more satisfactory cooler solution for many years. Everybody examines thier competitors machines. Why not come up with something simular. You have a new machine out there, Why step backwards in Technology, oh well, I haven't had the chance to tear into one yet. I usually get a new machine from one of the LWS's and disassemble it to the frame to see what will likely go wrong.

It's pretty clear to me, Cruiser. Since this machine is designed to run off either three phase or single phase 240, with no neutral, the single phase 120 needs to be created internally. Probably limited amperage, just enough to run a circulation motor. Special plug so some idiot doesn't plug a high amp grinder into it, and fry all the electronics.
    Last edited by JSFAB; 12-11-2013 at 01:51 PM.
    Obviously, I'm just a hack-artist, you shouldn't be listening to anything I say .....

Exclamation

These same questions have remained largely unanswered since the 280 rollout thread

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...ighlight=280dx

Could we please have somebody with intimate knowledge of this machine answer our questions...?? preferably somebody from the Dyn/Max 280 TECHNICAL Team..
    (I had made this request on the old thread to no avail)

it is always murder when nontechnical folks try to address some of these things..
    beginning to get frustrating...

A few of us are starting to feel that we are being fed pablum when we are looking at paying for steak...
    Last edited by H80N; 12-11-2013 at 03:14 PM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..