Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default CV for a Big 40D

I have an older (1985) Big 40 diesel and would like to add a CV to the machine for wire welding. Has anyone done this, and what's involved ? thanks.

In 1989 I bought a miller Big 40 with the optional 14 pin CV set up and if I remember correctly it was a factory only option, I tried to set it up with a suitcase feeder in 1995 and even with the help from Plymouth Wayne Welding which was the factory authorized dealer they never could get it to run.

I was not happy about paying for a option that could not run wire so I ended up buying a Trail Blazer that could actually run wire.

So I'm curiouse if anyone has ever run a constant Voltage feeder off a machine from that era.

My partner at that time used the auxillary power off a miller Big 50 to run a XMT 304 with a constant Voltage feeder.

Default CV for a Big 40D

Down load the owners manual. I'm pretty sure that is field install able. I think the part # is in the end of manual.
    I just purchased a used Big 40 D but it had the CV-2 option already, it also has a 50 series wire feeder with it, haven't used it yet but previous owner said they put alot of wire through it and worked well.
    I also downloaded the CV-2 owners manual and pretty sure I remember reading on how to field install that option.
    Haven't used mine yet but talked to guys that have put a lot of rods and wire through one and said they are good welders.
    Greg

First post here, I have a ''91 big 40G, and I cant seem to make it run wire worth a ****, is this a common issue? I run an S32 feeder. Any tricks to making it work, I seem to get an ok bead with solid wire, just a ton of buckshot. Havent tried fluxcore yet. I cant beat the arc for stick and the A/C and DC tig is absolutly super. any insight would be appreciated.

Only wire you'll be running in CC is Dual shield and thats on a VS feeder

To clarify it has the factory CV option and my feeder is an S32p, will do VS or just feeder. VS with fluxcore it runs cats azz off an sa200.