Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default High Frequency Earth Grounding. A/C Problems?

Sooooo, I read the manual to my syncrowave 200. I am in the process of getting the machine correctly grounded to earth with a ground rod as the manual recommends. This is to help minimize High Frequency interference.

The question. Could not having this grounded the Correct way as Miller states, cause A/C welding to not perform as it should? as in an even more erratic arc? I do notice that sometimes the HF starts act up, and doesn't jump the gap between the tungsten and the workpiece like it should, but that is on a rare occasion. As far as DC welding on steels, it seems pretty much fine.

here are pics of the grounding methods here:

My Sync 250 is on its own circuit from the box. It still fires the solenoids in my sprinkler system when using AC. The sprinkler clock is about 35 feet from the welder.
    RETIRED desk jockey.

Hobby weldor with a little training.

Craftsman O/A---Flat, Vert, Ovhd, Horz.

Miller Syncrowave 250.

Default Mark Lindquist

I have not run an earth ground and my computer dsl modem failed on the third use using a syncrowave 250 on ac high frequency, and a new cell phone on my hip. I know it destroyed the modem , not sure about the phone. By the previous grounding picture it wound be hard to ground everything. I now unplug every sensitive device.

I have seen it fry some cell phones (if you have em on you, i lay mine far away from the sych 250 i sometimes use) I've also seen it reset computers, lock up routers and other odd things that we can't blame on anything but running the synch on AC high freq.

However my dynasty on the dryer circuit at home will only regularly interfere with the TV signal a tad (but it only uses high freq for AC starting)

I've run a lof of synch 250's in my years of floating around shops and using other peoples equipemtn before i had my own and i don't think any of them had a steel rod pounded in the ground ( i could be wrong buit i'm sure a few didn't) and aside from getting your fore-arms shocked if they sweat and touch the table, oh and also frying the 2 cell phones, i've not seen as bad of failures as some mentioned in this thread, and with my dynasty i haven't had any issues at all' I've welded phone in pocket many many times, left my digital miics on the welding table along with my digital laser temp gauge and never had an issue except when i left my cell on the table, but all i had to do was re-start it ( it locked up)
    Dynasty 200DX
    Hobart Handler 135
    Smith MB55A-510 O/A setup
    Lathe/Mill/Bandsaw
    Hypertherm Powermax 45
    Just about every other hand tool you can imagine

I am in Oz and I dont ever have any problems with HF and every shop that I go to never complains about HF problems !
    There must be another reason as to why you guys are having so many problems.
    Are they run off sub circuits?

Cheers

Jake, these are mostly garage guys who run a subpanel off thier main one in the house. As techs we don't see too many garage hookups. For these guys I suggest tywrapping the first 2-3' work and torch leads together after leaving the machine. This reduces the HF transmission significantly.

There is generaly no way for these guys to run a separate ground wire back to the main panel as in an industrial setting. so they are stuck pounnding a lightning rod into the ground, or living with the problem.

i have to weld without the radio on, cause it messes that up, cuts it on and off, and have to redial the stations all the time, so i just unplug it, i have had my phone right on the welding table when doing this, and i guess i am lucky, it still works fine, hahaaa.

hopefully, in the next week, when the electrician can come out, i won't have this problem.

Well, not really, electricians don't deal much in HF transmission, more of an electronics thing. Do what I suggested, see if the problem goes away.

Quote Originally Posted by cruizer View Post
    Jake, these are mostly garage guys who run a subpanel off thier main one in the house. As techs we don't see too many garage hookups. For these guys I suggest tywrapping the first 2-3' work and torch leads together after leaving the machine. This reduces the HF transmission significantly.

There is generaly no way for these guys to run a separate ground wire back to the main panel as in an industrial setting. so they are stuck pounnding a lightning rod into the ground, or living with the problem.
    link to this stuff please?

Quote Originally Posted by myistar View Post
    link to this stuff please?
    Links to what stuff?

I'm a tech this what i do..