Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: CST 250 3 phase

Default CST 250 3 phase

I bought a three phase only cst250 on craigslist, however when I got home I realized that it is listed as 50 hz only as well. Is this some kind of foreign market machine? I usually have access to 3 phase power at work, but it is 60 hz. Will this machine work for me? Did I end up with a lightweight boat anchor? Also, I have never seen a 3 phase only cst. Any chance machine will run on single phase power as well without consequence? Btw the stock# is 907052 and the serial # is EVAL 35.

Stock number is useless, get me the serial#

That suppled code IS NOT a serial#, it'll have 2 letters and 6 numbers

Default cst250

Add Content
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default CST 250 3 phase

I'm thinking maybe it's some kind of demo/test evaluation machine. I will open it up and see if there are any other serial numbers inside

I opened the linking panel up, no numbers were obvious. Anyone know if there is somewhere inside the machine to look for a serial#?

This unit was ment for the scrap heap once the techs were done with it. Obviously someone pulled it out and sold it to you. Never going to run properly, and not much you can do with it to make it run correct.

Usually an inverter doesn't care much on the frequency, It's likely that this one does. So whats happening is that the unit is trying to run 20% faster on 60 hz.
    Things are getting hotter faster too so it shuts down as it should to prevent its internals from nuking. It may work in a 50HZ enviroment though. But for north America, NOPE...

Default CST 250 3 phase

I guess Ill give it a shot and see what happens on a 60hz 3 phase outlet. At least it came with 50' of leads and a ground and stinger. Oh well.

Default CST 250 3 phase

Here is the response I got from miller tech:

"This was a test unit used for development. The name plate was made before the production units were made and was not finalized. I am sure your machine can run on single phase and at 60 Hz. Just follow instructions in the owner’s manual when changing primary voltage. I am surprised to see this machine. "

So maybe I dodged a bullet! I will have to confirm this with power when I have a chance.