Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Help me decide on tig machine.

First off let me say I value all your opinions. I am not a welder by trade and find the answers to my questions very helpful.

A few years ago I bought a MM140 which left my garage off leash. I found it to be a bit small for what I really needed. After the insurance settled I then bought an AC/DC Thunderbolt. Not knowing beans about how electricity works I soon found that my generator would run the welder but not start it. My first lesson in CC vs CV. I added a MM180 which the genny would run but only a short while. Ive been wanting a TIG machine of some sort so I could have the option on thinner material. Recently out of the blue, so to speak, as I was searching for a bigger gen set, I stumbled upon a Bobcat 250 with only 16 hours on the clock. I put the money down and still need to drive 3 hours one way to pick it up.

All that said, I still want a TIG. Im mostly self taught so my only experience with TIG so far was in the Miller trailer at a big race weekend. I did pretty good on the steel but the aluminum was a no go. I see this as a challenge to learn. I would think the Bobcat will power most anything I want to do at the track or at home. Since Im not professional and very willing to hire a pro when the need arises I dont think I need a Dynasty or Sync. Ive been looking over the web pages here on the Diversion and Multimatic 200. Both look reasonably portable. It would appear that the 200 could almost replace what I now have whereas the Diversion is pretty much a single use machine.

All that to say, if you were me, what should I do? One of those two or something altogether different?
    Who do you call when the lawmakers ignore the law?

Miller AC/DC Thunderbolt 225
    Miller 180 w/Autoset
    Old cutting torch on LPG

Multimatic will not tig aluminum. If that is a requirement, you need a machine that can run in AC and DC.

Here's a thread from the welding web that may help. My post is # 6
    http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php...ig-welder-info

Your gonna love the engine drive for sure.

Thank you! Excellent information. Thats why I ask you guys.
    Who do you call when the lawmakers ignore the law?

Miller AC/DC Thunderbolt 225
    Miller 180 w/Autoset
    Old cutting torch on LPG

I get asked "what tig should i get" all the time. I always recommend guys get a used syncrowave 250. Its a beast that can weld just about anything. But you have to have the power service to run it, and they are not portable. Other wise i i would say get the dynasty 200 but they are out of most peoples price range and its easy to need more than 150 amps at 60% duty cycle. I would never buy a diversion. Disclaimer: Im biased, I make money welding thick aluminum everyday. Not even a sync 250 could keep up.