Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by hotrod1442 View Post
    H80N,

Sent you a PM
    Got It..!!!...

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

Question

Any News??.....

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 200

Quote Originally Posted by H80N View Post
    Any News??.....
    I talked to Chris on the phone on Wed.

Unfortunately he is recovering from knee surgery for the next couple of weeks.

He did however give me some helpful tips/advise on setting up the machine that I have available to me.........I might still take a go at it (he seem confident I could do the small area myself)...... Or wait till he gets back, (and caught up on the back up of work @ his shop) and have him do it.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by hotrod1442 View Post
    I talked to Chris on the phone on Wed.

Unfortunately he is recovering from knee surgery for the next couple of weeks.

He did however give me some helpful tips/advise on setting up the machine that I have available to me.........I might still take a go at it (he seem confident I could do the small area myself)...... Or wait till he gets back, (and caught up on the back up of work @ his shop) and have him do it.
    Sounds like progress... these things do not usually happen overnight..

PLS keep us posted... and as always... PICS.....

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 200

Thumbs up

BTW... what did he suggest for filler...

a number of us have had pretty good luck on Cast 356 with 4943 filler..

(I am a pretty recent convert myself..)

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 200

Quote Originally Posted by H80N View Post
    BTW... what did he suggest for filler...

a number of us have had pretty good luck on Cast 356 with 4943 filler..

(I am a pretty recent convert myself..)
    Yes, he said that he liked a fairly "new" filler rod........I don't have my notes in front of me, but I think that it was 4943.

As of a couple of years ago when I was welding on a Delorian engine block, Chris told me to try some 2319, So I keep that on hand as well as some 1100 rod for doing thin aluminum.

I've been welding The dirtiest, nastiest oil soaked aluminum for 20 years so I've gotten pretty good and can weld pretty much anything that I come across.

I tig weld all kinds of piping from low pressure to Hi pressure hydraulics and never have a leak.

All my customers think I'm the best thing out there and I'm not going to tell them any different.

But when it comes to Chris I still look at his work and say Wow, He is truly a Artist.

Good luck with what ever you decide.

Quote Originally Posted by Portable Welder View Post
    As of a couple of years ago when I was welding on a Delorian engine block, Chris told me to try some 2319, So I keep that on hand as well as some 1100 rod for doing thin aluminum.

I've been welding The dirtiest, nastiest oil soaked aluminum for 20 years so I've gotten pretty good and can weld pretty much anything that I come across.

I tig weld all kinds of piping from low pressure to Hi pressure hydraulics and never have a leak.

All my customers think I'm the best thing out there and I'm not going to tell them any different.

But when it comes to Chris I still look at his work and say Wow, He is truly a Artist.

Good luck with what ever you decide.
    2319..??? that is one alloy I have not used... seems like an odd choice..

ALLOY 2319 is one of the few Al-Cu alloy filler metals available.. and the literature says it needs post weld heat treatment..

any idea why he would have chosen it??... always willing to learn new tricks..

http://www.aircraftmaterials.com/data/weld/2319.html
    Last edited by H80N; 12-10-2013 at 05:30 AM.

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 200

I read the info that you sent over, The way I read it is that it is heat treatable, That doesn't mean it has to be heat treated.

It also mentioned that it can be used for welding on castings.

However, To be honest with you I never second guessed Chris, I just bought some and tried it.

The valley under the intake was open and the acid from the leaves and antifreeze along with the rain water had pitted the aluminum, Not to mention another welder tried to weld the block with a arc welder and blew holes into the oil galleries and left me a mess to clean up.

Quote Originally Posted by Portable Welder View Post
    I read the info that you sent over, The way I read it is that it is heat treatable, That doesn't mean it has to be heat treated.It also mentioned that it can be used for welding on castings.However, To be honest with you I never second guessed Chris, I just bought some and tried it.The valley under the intake was open and the acid from the leaves and antifreeze along with the rain water had pitted the aluminum, Not to mention another welder tried to weld the block with a arc welder and blew holes into the oil galleries and left me a mess to clean up.
    Am by no means second guessing him.... but would love to hear his thoughts on his choice...

it might be that the DeLorean/Renault block is an Alusil casting and 2319 is one of the acceptable fillers for that high silicon alloy..??

If you get a chance to ask him... could you share it with us??

it does look like 4943 is a viable filler for that these days as well..

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...highlight=4943
    Last edited by H80N; 01-01-2014 at 12:25 PM.

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 200