Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default connecting an air cooled tig torch to a high frequency arc stabilizer

I want to do aluminum repair work on boats and trailers etc..
    Can I do this without a water cooler connected to the arc stabilizer.
    I have a basic stick machine and a Hobart 1611 high frequency arc stabilizer.
    My air cooled tig torch is good to 150 amps.
    I understand that the argon flowing through the torch usually keeps it cooled.
    Do I have to connect a cooler to the high frequency unit or will it work ok without the water running through it. Any help is greatly appreciated. I really need to find more work to prevent losing my house. I love this website.

It will run fine without the water cooled torch. In fact with a water cooled torch and high frequency you can have the high frequency travel down the water in the torch and bleed out causing issues, should be using low conductivity coolant anyways with one though.
    Save yourself the money and see if your air cooled torch can handle the amps you're running just stick with it.
    Miller syncrowave 200 runner with coolmate 4
    and wp2025 weldcraft torch
    Miller 125c plasma cutter

Thank you. So is it ok to use the high frequency unit without coolant with either type tig torch?
    That is, either an air cooled type or a water cooled type torch? I have both.

Also, is it recommended to use a low conductivity coolant if I do ever use a cooler someday?
    Could I use this set up with a miller 225G bobcat too?

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by a12bsmilin View Post
    Thank you. So is it ok to use the high frequency unit without coolant with either type tig torch?
    That is, either an air cooled type or a water cooled type torch? I have both.
    ?
    NO..!!!

For clarity's sake if you are running a liquid cooled torch such as a WP20...

it MUST be run wet with a liquid cooler..

Running a liquid cooled torch dry will destroy it in a FLASH...

Is this a water-cooled HF unit??

could you post some pictures of your Hobart 1611 high frequency arc stabilizer..??
    Last edited by H80N; 11-29-2013 at 08:49 AM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus Mills, Lathes & a Rat Tail File..

Only use the water cooled torch with a water cooler filled with coolant. If you run a water cooled torch dry it will almost instantly burn the water line when you weld. The power cable runs down the inside of the water cooler hose.
    Miller syncrowave 200 runner with coolmate 4
    and wp2025 weldcraft torch
    Miller 125c plasma cutter

Thanks. I will try to post pictures tomorrow.

The high frequency unit has both water in and water out connections.
    Does this mean that it is water cooled.
    It also has gas in and gas out.

Smile "City Water" Cooling..

It may very well have a solenoid valve for the water... many years ago it was not uncommon for them to use water off the city water main to cool the watercooled torches... so they would just valve that instead of having a separate pump.. and it would just go down the drain after going through the torch..

Take a look at the water cooled versions in this manual... anything look familiar??

http://www.millerwelds.com/om/o1078b_mil.pdf

BTW .... could you also post the serial number?? it might help us out..

The "city water" cooling option did work.. but in areas with hard water... mineral deposits would end up clogging the torch passages after a while...
    Some implementations just had a straight feed through with no solenoid.. you would just turn it on or off at the tap..
    Some TIG Welding machines like the Miller 330 & Lincoln Idealarc (early "refrigerator sized") could be had or retrofitted with the city water option..
    Last edited by H80N; 11-30-2013 at 06:26 AM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus Mills, Lathes & a Rat Tail File..

Here is more information about the welder:
    Spec.: 5676-4
    Model: 1611
    Serial Number: 79WA24826

Here are some photos of the welder.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Pull the cover off. If the water just goes in/out of an electric valve or straight though the unit it is not water cooled as H8ON suggested. If the water lines are attached to or run though other components or are soldered to heat sinks it is likely water cooled and should have water cooling. If it(the arc stabilizer) is not water cooled I would connect the water cooled torch to the torch's cooler unit bypassing the stabilizer unit.---Meltedmetal