Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Help With CST 280 Stick/Tig Machine

I just bought a brand new CST 280 Machine stick/tig. I have 240 volts (1 phase) running to it (it is set to 200-230 on back panel, not 400-430). When I turn on the machine it makes no noise, the blue light stays on. I start welding about 5 1/8th 8010 rods, then the blue light starts flashing, and it makes a clicking noise. The fan does not stay on while welding. I'll stop for about 10 minutes and the blue light stops flashing, and is ready to weld again for about five rods, then it starts blinking again. Now when I turn the machine off the fan comes on for about 15 seconds steadily. I just find it hard to believe this machine overheats and stops after 5 rods. I'll be in mid arc, hear the machine click, lose arc, blue light flashes, have to wait 10 minutes (takes about 5 minutes if I turn machine off then back on) to start back up. This thing is BRAND new, I don't understand what is happening. Please help me.

Sounds like you need warranty service. The 280 is a fan on demand and goes on when required and runs when machine is turned off for a while. We have these at work and they get beat and no issues.
    It is a single phase machine right ? I think they did make some that were 3 phase only. It is wire on plug end for single phase right ?
    If you confirmed power source is correct 220/230, machined wired correctly on plug end, it sounds like you gotta get service.
    Here's a manual on the CST 280 if you don't have one. It's from mine in 2007

http://www.millerwelds.com/om/o217655e_mil.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by SpecialB420 View Post
    I just bought a brand new CST 280 Machine stick/tig. I have 240 volts (1 phase) running to it (it is set to 200-230 on back panel, not 400-430). When I turn on the machine it makes no noise, the blue light stays on. I start welding about 5 1/8th 8010 rods, then the blue light starts flashing, and it makes a clicking noise. The fan does not stay on while welding. I'll stop for about 10 minutes and the blue light stops flashing, and is ready to weld again for about five rods, then it starts blinking again. Now when I turn the machine off the fan comes on for about 15 seconds steadily. I just find it hard to believe this machine overheats and stops after 5 rods. I'll be in mid arc, hear the machine click, lose arc, blue light flashes, have to wait 10 minutes (takes about 5 minutes if I turn machine off then back on) to start back up. This thing is BRAND new, I don't understand what is happening. Please help me.

Blue light blinks a code generally.......

What is the serial #. Are you in Europe or some where and not in the states cause there is no 400 or 430 here in North America,

Did you use the RED wire, on single phase, cause it sounds like thats what you may have gone and done....
    Last edited by cruizer; 12-04-2013 at 12:16 PM.