Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Millermatic 211 wire feed

Guys Iím wondering if anybody can help out with this, my MM 211 started having problems feeding the wire out of the gun, so I opened the door and could see it was clearly slipping and wire was not feeding out. Anyway, I checked the tension it was on 3 so I put it at 4 with not much help, checked to make sure I had the right side of die for the .30 wire I did, then checked the spool itself to see if it was to tight, that looked fine in fact (Iím using a 10lb roll of .30 wire) the lock nut in the middle of the spool was only on hand tight. Anyway, then I changed the tip in the gun, not much difference. Tried different wire speeds no help. So after checking things out for awhile it all of the sudden started working fine again no slipping? So any ideas why this would happen? Could there something wrong with the drive mechanism already? I just bought this MM 211 about 2-3 months ago.
    Thanks for any help or suggestions you guys have.

There are smarter guys on this forum than I for sure, but I can tell you what I look for.

I released the idler roll, trim the ball off the wire and drag the wire back somewhat to see if the liner is the issue, as there may be a kink or clogged with dust. I may remove the wire completely and blow out the liner with compressed air.

Then I look at the groove in the drive roller to see if it is the correct one. Mine are v groove for hard wires and u groove for soft wires.

I also check tip to see if the wire is dragging on it.

I hate when this happens, so good luck.
    Nothing welded, Nothing gained

Miller Dynasty700DX
    3 ea. Miller Dynasty350DX
    Miller Dynasty200DX
    ThermalArc 400 GTSW
    MillerMatic350P
    MillerMatic200 with spoolgun
    MKCobraMig260
    Lincoln SP-170T
    Linde UCC305 (sold 2011)
    Hypertherm 1250
    Hypertherm 800
    PlasmaCam CNC cutter
    Fadal Toolroom CNC Mill
    SiberHegner CNC Mill
    2 ea. Bridgeport
    LeBlond 15" Lathe
    Haberle 18" Cold Saw
    Doringer 14" Cold Saw
    6 foot x 12 foot Mojave granite

Default The other way also.

What shovelon said, and clean the grove in the drive rolls. release the drive rolls and pull the wire through the gun, does it pull smooth and easy?, could there have been a kink in the wire?
    Sometimes there is a berry that gets in the tip that binds the wire.
    The wire guide could get full of dirt and cause the wire to drag( that happened to me, I could not see day light through the wire guide).
    Good Luck,
    Bob
    Millermatic 252 w/30A
    Big Blue Air Pak
    Ellis 3000 Band Saw
    Trailblazer 302 Air Pak w/ Wireless Remote
    8-RC
    Dynasty 200 DX
    XMT 350 MPa w/S-74 MPa Plus
    Millermatic 211
    Passport Plus
    Spectrum 625 X-TREME
    Lincoln SA-200 Blue Tint Red Face '63
    2-Lincoln SA-200 Red Face '68
    SA-200 Black Face '59
    SA-200 Green Lite '84
    SA-200 Green Lite '80
    SA-200 Red Face '69
    SA-200 Red Face '66
    SA-200 Green Lite '81
    '70 Black Face Round Barrel

Default thanks

Thanks for the input, yes it does pull through easy cleaned the grove, it has not happened again yet but have not been using much the last few days. I was wondering if I have the 10 lb spool on wrong but it looks pretty much idiot proof, how tight do you turn the lock nut in the middle of the spool, I imagine just tight enough to still have the wheel spin freely of course. How tight do you guys tighten the drive roller on the 211? Mine is at 4 right now with .30 wire. I'll see on tue/wed when I'm off and using it all day in the garage.
    Thanks

Default Bird's Nest

You want the wire to slip if it becomes blocked. Better to slip than to make a bird's nest. You should blow out the liner when changing wire rolls.

Tighten the brake nut just enough to stop the roll from unspooling. Speaking of unspooling, if the rolls does unspool, that will cause feeding problems until you get back to the neatly wound wire.

I don't have a 211 so the numbers mean nothing to me.
    May someone with a 211 could jump in here.
    Good Luck,
    Bob
    Last edited by Bob Miller; 12-13-2010 at 08:37 PM. Reason: spelling
    Millermatic 252 w/30A
    Big Blue Air Pak
    Ellis 3000 Band Saw
    Trailblazer 302 Air Pak w/ Wireless Remote
    8-RC
    Dynasty 200 DX
    XMT 350 MPa w/S-74 MPa Plus
    Millermatic 211
    Passport Plus
    Spectrum 625 X-TREME
    Lincoln SA-200 Blue Tint Red Face '63
    2-Lincoln SA-200 Red Face '68
    SA-200 Black Face '59
    SA-200 Green Lite '84
    SA-200 Green Lite '80
    SA-200 Red Face '69
    SA-200 Red Face '66
    SA-200 Green Lite '81
    '70 Black Face Round Barrel

Don't remember the number off hand but mine is most of the way down on all size's of wire. Most of the numbers are covered.
    "The only source of knowledge is experience." Albert Einstein

Default clean wire

If you determine that dirt is building in your gun then prevention is something to consider. A wire cleaner should be used before the wire enters the gun. I use a tampon and clamp it to the wire but there are other applications.

Talking Tampons !

Quote Originally Posted by Azphiks View Post
    If you determine that dirt is building in your gun then prevention is something to consider. A wire cleaner should be used before the wire enters the gun. I use a tampon and clamp it to the wire but there are other applications.
    Lol; That's what we did back in the " 60's ", haven't heard that one in years !

.......... Norm

Sunrise Outside My Shop In Delhi, Ontario

- Arcair- K 4000 CAC.

- LN-25 Wire Feeder

- Lincoln Ranger 8- Engine Drive- CC\CV:

- Lincoln Power Mig 180C
    - Spoolgun.
    - DeWalt Chop Saw .
    - DeWalt Compressor - 13cfm, @ 100 psi.

www.normsmobilewelding.blogspot.com

Default feed

Have done everything suggested so far and its better but, its happing once and a while still, have not been on the form in a while so I just saw the post where the tension is all the way covering the numbers so thats what I'll try now maybe this whole thing is just that its not tight enough after all.
    I'll update later.
    Thanks as always for the help guys.

Make sure your holding the gun lead strait as possible. I don't think you would need a new linner yet unless it's kinked. Blow out linner, make sure it's clean.