Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Can't see overhead (Tig)

Student Welder:

I've been able to overcome vision issues with all positions so far except for overhead. The only thing I've yet to try is to lay on the ground under it and pretend it's the flat position. :-)

I'm working with stainless and aluminum right now.

Right now I'm trying to conquer butt joints with lap and tee to follow. Overhead is difficult as I'm inverting the tungsten and having to look up. The arc prevents me from seeing the joint keyhole so I'm just stabbing filler rod in the dark. I just end up with joints with big burn through holes and globs of filler rod here and there.

Last night in class I found it "better" if I took out my cheater and took off my glasses but that really limits the range I can be close or far but still the arc blinds the joint. This also means I have to keep taking my glasses on and off all the time which includes removing my helmet. Can't wear contacts anymore. I wear bifocals so you can imagine what having to look up means. :-)

I've got rigs to rest my torch hand on and I have to pull the arc towards me as pushing causes the cup to block the joint.

Hopefully y'all have some tricks I haven't thought of that might help.

TIA folks!

my eyes are getting bad from all the welding days .what I do is go towally world or cvs and buy a 3 pack of reading glasses sisne they don't make cheaters for the elite. you might wanna experiment with cheap reading glasses to se how it works out for you

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by tommy2069 View Post
    my eyes are getting bad from all the welding days .what I do is go towally world or cvs and buy a 3 pack of reading glasses sisne they don't make cheaters for the elite. you might wanna experiment with cheap reading glasses to se how it works out for you
    My older Big Window Elite has a clip inside to take a standard Magnifier/cheater...
    and it has been a lifesaver for out of position TIG..
    Last edited by H80N; 11-27-2013 at 10:31 AM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

Its amazing when I can look thru the shield and see good enough then light up and can't see worth a crap.

Then have to put on the CVS readers or the cheater. I use the cheater when a lot of hood flipping is involved and the readers when its just a few welds, but back at arms reach just the eyes.

I need a cheater hood with a dial zoom built in.

Quote Originally Posted by H80N View Post
    My older Big Window Elite has a clip inside to take a standard Magnifier/cheater...
    and it has been a lifesaver for out of position TIG..
    gonna have to get on my lws place .he keeps telling me he doesn't have them and they don't make them for that shield

Quote Originally Posted by tommy2069 View Post
    gonna have to get on my lws place .he keeps telling me he doesn't have them and they don't make them for that shield
    Just the regular cheater lens... clips right in..

here is an old thread on it..

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...+elite+cheater
    Last edited by H80N; 11-27-2013 at 04:10 PM.

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 200

Quote Originally Posted by stickermigtigger View Post
    Student Welder:

I've been able to overcome vision issues with all positions so far except for overhead. The only thing I've yet to try is to lay on the ground under it and pretend it's the flat position. :-)

I'm working with stainless and aluminum right now.

Right now I'm trying to conquer butt joints with lap and tee to follow. Overhead is difficult as I'm inverting the tungsten and having to look up. The arc prevents me from seeing the joint keyhole so I'm just stabbing filler rod in the dark. I just end up with joints with big burn through holes and globs of filler rod here and there.

Last night in class I found it "better" if I took out my cheater and took off my glasses but that really limits the range I can be close or far but still the arc blinds the joint. This also means I have to keep taking my glasses on and off all the time which includes removing my helmet. Can't wear contacts anymore. I wear bifocals so you can imagine what having to look up means. :-)

I've got rigs to rest my torch hand on and I have to pull the arc towards me as pushing causes the cup to block the joint.

Hopefully y'all have some tricks I haven't thought of that might help.

TIA folks!
    A more expensive alternative here but you can get what are called "industrial or Double D" lenses for prescription glasses that will definitely help.
    They have the reading lense on top and bottom.
    They take a little getting used to but they work.

Griff

I used regular reading glasses, I even had them in different strengths, worked well for me.
    mike sr

Thumbs up

A little extra light on the subject might help as well...

I have been using halogen worklights to put some extra light in awkward places..

it can be tough sometimes to position the torch it dark tight places like when you are building a cage in a car... if you can't see what you are doing..

here is another old thread on it..

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...hlight=halogen

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 200

Suggest taking a look at what's available, here:

http://www.rx-safety.com/store/index.php?cPath=45_80

This company offers a wide range of powers. I use the small flip-up version in +3.50 for tig, 'cause I like to get close to the puddle.