Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Miller AEAD 200Le can I add a Miller high frequency arc starter model HF-15-1wg

I have a Miller AEAD 200Le and would like to add a Miller high frequency arc starter model HF-15-1wg it comes with a Miller radiator and the torch.

If I can add this to my machine what are the limitations or down sides that I should be aware of?
    Can I put a foot petal on this unit? I don't know if it has an argon set up but hope so, if not I would like to add it (parts availability, etc?).

I plan to do some SS and possibly some aluminum but in reality I will mostly do small steal projects. I have tig experience from years back at an old job and really like its control and strength and clean welds.

I have read some other posts regarding the HF-15-1WG. I am hoping this is a reasonable purchase for me at this time and if I get busy with it I would consider upgrading, but I cannot justify new or more expensive right now. If I cannot make it work decently I will save up for something more compatible but I have some projects I'd like to knock out and I think once I get welding I'll have plenty to keep me busy.

Thanks
    for all your knowledgable advice, great forum.

Sincerely
    Steve

Default Does your power supply have a 14 pin connector?

I am not sure but i think you may have difficulty running the foot pedal unless you have the 14 pin to the hf unit, and then the 14 pin out to the welder itself. I have a hf 251 and it works very well in the application you described. For just stainless all you really need is DCSP , and not high frequency to weld , the hf just makes it nice for non contact starting. Im not sure about the specs of your HF unit, but i know the Hf 251 can usually be found used on ebay for very good prices. It will run the foot pedal , but again may not be 100 % compatible with full functionality when running your machine.
    I have a welding addiction

...the only stupid question is the one you didn't ask

Your machine only does non critical welds, and can't see the reason behind buying what amounts to an arc starter. Unless you break arc alot. Most just start of a piece of scrap.

I am looking at this HF starter because it comes with a torch and radiator. I was under the impression that I would need HF to tig aluminum? I also though it would help to do other tig welding? I don't think I can just add a tig torch to an ac/dc welder and start doing SS and aluminum can I? The water cooled torch and air valve are a necessary plus as well I thought.

Thanks Again for the advice
    Steve
    Last edited by Ben Quick; 11-30-2013 at 07:18 PM.