Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Tig Welder for $4000

Looking to purchase my first tig welder. I have a budget of around $4000 +/- I really want to stay blue, I have had bad experiences with the red equipment, but thats a whole different can of worms. What would you guys recommend? I am needing to weld 3/16" and 1/4" aluminum and some 1/8" steel. It is for my home shop so it doesn't have to be a super high duty cycle machine, but I need something that will have a good penetrating weld on that material. The aluminum is a clutch and flywheel cover for garden tractor pulling so they have to withstand (hopefully not going to have to) but approximately 30lbs of steel and aluminum at 9000rpm if sometheing ever let go and the steel is a frame so it also has to have good welds on it.

Thanks guys,
    Richard

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by northernboy1 View Post
    Looking to purchase my first tig welder. I have a budget of around $4000 +/- I really want to stay blue, I have had bad experiences with the red equipment, but thats a whole different can of worms. What would you guys recommend? I am needing to weld 3/16" and 1/4" aluminum and some 1/8" steel. It is for my home shop so it doesn't have to be a super high duty cycle machine, but I need something that will have a good penetrating weld on that material. The aluminum is a clutch and flywheel cover for garden tractor pulling so they have to withstand (hopefully not going to have to) but approximately 30lbs of steel and aluminum at 9000rpm if sometheing ever let go and the steel is a frame so it also has to have good welds on it.

Thanks guys,
    Richard
    Dynasty 200DX......

It will fit your stated needs and budget... a great machine...

Here is a thread on the subject that you might find useful..

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...72-tig-machine

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

What are you using for an engine and clutch?

As I was first reading this I pictured an old style hotrod with an SBC or Ford 2300 for power. I dont follow pulling much but I cant really fathom a 30# flywheel on a Kohler or Briggs.

If youre using a car engine for power get yourself a real scatter shield. I would never risk the safety of the fans for such a thing. I would think you could find a good safety housing that was out of date from a drag racer that would be suitable. If youre using an engine that one is not commercially built(Lakewood, Trick Titanium, etc.) I would use steel and make it thick, like half inch.

Look up some pictures of Don Garlits' clutch explosion. Youll see why Im concerned.
    Who do you call when the lawmakers ignore the law?

Miller AC/DC Thunderbolt 225
    Miller 180 w/Autoset
    Old cutting torch on LPG

In our sport a lot of things need to be custom fabricated as there's no manufacture producing them. Pulling is a unique Motorsport and there's definitely a whole different set of stresses that no other Motorsport could ever introduce to the parts we use. Back on topic here. I'll second the dynasty 200 BUT if you are like we are you'll move onto bigger tractors and with bigger tractors comes heavier material. I out grew my synchro200 real quick. I'd try to find a used dynasty 350 or a synchro 250. I got lucky and found a near mint synchro 350 lx with all the bells and whistles and is more than capable to do anything in my shop and probably 99% of anyone else's. Down side to the big transformer machines is power consumption. They like electric
    Syncrowave 350lx
    XMT 350 CC/CV
    S74DX Feeder
    30a spoolgun
    Hypertherm 1000 g3
    Harris O/A
    Cincinnati lathe
    Acer Ultima "Bridgeport Mill"
    340hp Quincy and 400 gallon of air
    Other doodads and a stoker coal stove

I agree with H80N 200 Dynasty.

Theres a guy on welding web selling a miller aerowave right now. Hes dropped his price to $4000. Check it out bud, i belive his name is kenfabcreations. Insane deal!!!!! And machine is beautiful!

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Gingerboy View Post
    Theres a guy on welding web selling a miller aerowave right now. Hes dropped his price to $4000. Check it out bud, i belive his name is kenfabcreations. Insane deal!!!!! And machine is beautiful!
    Unless you want one for it's novelty value I would stay away.... and if (when) it needs repair....Watch Out!!!...$$$..

All of the Aerowave users that I have known switched to Dynasty 350DX Tigrunners in the last couple of years... ask the seller what he is buying to replace the Aerowave...

The Aerowave WAS a great machine in it's day... that day is past...

Here is a thread on the subject..

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...light=aerowave

BTW... I looked at the ad for that Aerowave on WW... It needs repair..
    the owner says the HF is "Buggy" whatever that means.. ??$$$$??
    and he has dropped the price again to $3750.. Still Too High...
    Have seen several of them needing work with an asking in the $1500 range

http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php...light=aerowave
    Last edited by H80N; 11-22-2013 at 02:42 PM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

Default Tig Welder for $4000

I'm actually considering selling my Dynasty 200DX that I bought new about 2 months ago so I can upgrade to the Dynasty 350, since buying the 200DX I've gotten 3 aluminium jobs and I don't like to push my machines too hard. So if you're near Toronto let me know and I will make a decision soon. Will probably sell for $4K +