Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sorry that was a typo, my machine has the option to be set at 120 volts or 230 volts, it was set to 120 when I bought it and it wasn't welding as it should but everything was fixed when I set it over to 230, but it was also because the tabs where dirty and weren't making proper contact, also clean your ground lead at the point of contact at the machine

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by S.A.W View Post
    Sorry that was a typo, my machine has the option to be set at 120 volts or 230 volts, it was set to 120 when I bought it and it wasn't welding as it should but everything was fixed when I set it over to 230, but it was also because the tabs where dirty and weren't making proper contact, also clean your ground lead at the point of contact at the machine
    What are you talking about???

Isn't the MM211 an MVP machine with NO tabs to set??....

Just interchangable "Multi Voltage Plugs" on the power input cable??

http://www.millerwelds.com/products/...p?model=M00245
    Last edited by H80N; 11-20-2013 at 11:17 AM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

Default Problem with Miller 211...since it was new

Mm 211 = mvp

I've still got the factory ground clamp but use a pice of braided copper all twisted up to use in conjunction with the clamp. It seemed to help out a lil bit.

Thank you so much for all the replies everyone. I definitely want to buy a new ground as everyone I have talked to who owned Millers have always told me they saw a big difference in weld quality with a better ground clamp.

As far as pictures of the welds, I ran a few beads yesterday and I'll post the pics of them as soon as I can. They came out decent looking, any real flaw in them was probably from technique (haven't welded in a few months and my garage was full so I was doing this on the cold cement with a pulled muscle in my neck lol) but I still feel like it is requiring too much wire speed and that means I need to rush the weld to keep up.

Here is what I found. On Auto-Set, the weld sounded OK although wire speed actually sounded a little slow to me (the sound wasn't as tight as I am used to). Thought this was funny because on other 211's I have used, the auto-set always seemed to have too HIGH of a wire speed for my liking.

I adjusted the wire speed to the manual settings and it seemed way too low. You could hear/see a distinct pause between each arch and the sound was no where near tight enough.

Here is what bothered me. I started laying a bead and adjusting the wire speed knob while welding 1/8th plate on 6 and I started to get the best sound when the knob was MAXED OUT at 100. Now of course the welds were gloppy and high at this point, but this was the only place where the welder sounded right to me. Was almost thinking it was a wire feed problem but when cycling the trigger without striking an arc the wire seems to move smoothly out of the tip.
    Last edited by kris396ss; 11-21-2013 at 11:54 AM.

Did you check your tension setting ? You stated it was going smoothly. The manual does have info on setting drive roll pressure. You hold the gun a couple inches above a piece of wood and squeeze trigger. The wire should curl around when it hits the wood.
    Just thinkin, does the drive rolls match the wire ? Is the polarity correct ?

I agree with bd1, sounds like the nut on the spool tension is too tight.

Quote Originally Posted by Cgotto6 View Post
    I agree with bd1, sounds like the nut on the spool tension is too tight.
    You might be onto something with that. The other night when I was laying some beads down to take pics of I decided to back off on the drive wheel tension and spool nut. It did seem to weld better and require less wire speed but the problem didn't completely go away. I'll try setting both as per the instruction manual though and see.

Something about the whole drive mechanism bothers me though. It seems like it is almost wobbling as it turns and it's very creaky/flexible and cheap feeling. To be honest, the drive mechanism on my $300 Lincoln 110 feels more solid.

The second pic I did was at around 6 and 75 IIRC. I basically just adjusted the wire speed till I got a nice sound and you can see I had to rush the bead to keep up with the high wire speed.

Group of beads in the 1st and 3rd pic were trying out a new "U" technique to get that TIG look. I was running colder and lower wire speed settings than I'd normally use 4* and 50) and I never really tried it before other than those 5 beads. All were done outside, at night leaning over a cinderblock so I didn't expect them to be great. The pieces were scrap metal that i only quickly cleaned up, but it still just seemed like more splatter than I am used to having except for the smooth bead I ran with high wire speed...for some reason that seemed to be very clean, but then a later one I did wasn't. Maybe it is a ground issue...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by kris396ss; 11-22-2013 at 01:59 PM.

Wish any of my welding beads looked that good.
    Miller Challenger 172
    Hobart AC/DC Stickmate
    Older Sears AC Stick machine

Yeah a little bit of splatter but there is nothing wrong with those beads, they look good.