Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: fencing

Seriously. I'm a general contractor, if I never took a job with some sort of risk I would never be able to work. Everything has some sort of liability. Handrails are an area where I do my own metal fab and I can charge a fortune for it compared to a wood system.

Default fencing

Not sure how to add the pics. From my phone at the moment but they are on the website. Kmweldinglv.com. If anyone wants to look
    Syncrowave 250
    Millermatic 210
    dialarc 250
    spectrum 375x
    trailblazer 302
    Lincoln 135

Default agree, but

Quote Originally Posted by walker View Post
    Everything is an insurance liability. Get good insurance and stop worrying about it.
    You missed my point. Simply does not pay to do fence or railing work in my area, price is to cheap. Now add someone falling off a stair or porch because the product rusted out after 10 years, or there were 30 people on a deck where 5 is a crowd simply makes no sense to bid or worry about. I would bet my insurance is at par or bettar then most, im required to cover 5 million in comp, only way to do state or city work. Also to anyone who does not worry about liability get sued once and see what happens, then tell me to stop worring about it.
    Kevin
    XMT 304
    Miller Spectrum 625
    Miller 30a spool gun
    S22a
    Miller Legend 302
    Lincoln LN25
    Ford f450 Maintainer Srv Truck

Default fencing

I get it I had legal troubles with that a few years back. The wood which I secured the railing to has rotted and the railing fell over. Took a lot of effort to make it go away
    Syncrowave 250
    Millermatic 210
    dialarc 250
    spectrum 375x
    trailblazer 302
    Lincoln 135

Quote Originally Posted by Tryagn5 View Post
    You missed my point. Simply does not pay to do fence or railing work in my area, price is to cheap. Now add someone falling off a stair or porch because the product rusted out after 10 years, or there were 30 people on a deck where 5 is a crowd simply makes no sense to bid or worry about. I would bet my insurance is at par or bettar then most, im required to cover 5 million in comp, only way to do state or city work. Also to anyone who does not worry about liability get sued once and see what happens, then tell me to stop worring about it.
    Kevin
    Not paying well and liability too high are two different things. I don't do cheap work. Won't bid cheap pool fence, or cheap railing. Not because of liability, but because I don't like doing it. I like getting paid well for quality work. I have gotten stuck doing standard pool fence on bigger jobs, where it was part of a lucrative contract. If the work I did didn't pay well I likely wouldn't be doing it. I also won't do some work based on risk. If the risk is much higher than the payout I won't do it. In fact, several times I have called my insurance guy to discuss risk on jobs, and twice have taken out a rider on a particular client or job to ameliorate risk on a good paying job. I wouldn't do that on a cheap job, but likely wouldn't accept a cheap job that had high risk.

When I quote a price I usually get the "Good lord man I wanted it out of iron not gold". Such and such quoted me $35lf. I end my conversation with ask to see his workmans comp and general liability insurance. A couple weeks later I pick up the deposit check.

Quote Originally Posted by walker View Post
    I do very little cheap fence, but when I do it is about $90lf. There is a guy here doing pool fence for $15lf. I don't know what would posses him to do it for that low a price.
    no liability insurance
    no workmans comp
    no overhead (workshop/equipment)
    no unemployment insurance
    no skill
    when you pay peanuts you get a circus!

probably plugs his buzz box into the neighbors outlet and works in the apartment building parking lot. its easy to work cheap when you have to!

Tryagn5, I have to side with walker on this one, I have been doing handrails and 42" guard rails for 25 years without any major problems that I can think of.

I would have to say based on the type of work I do, That hand rails are minimal risk if done right.

I'm charging anywhere from $65.00 - $ 125.00 per ft. depending on how much they need.

Tryagn5, I do have to agree that most people wont pay that so I try to pre-qualify them over the phone before I will even look at the job because a lot of people think that its a #300.00 job.

I wont even look at a residential rail unless they are willing to spend at least
    $ 1,200 and thats just the 2 rails going down 2 steps.

Quote Originally Posted by Portable Welder View Post
    Tryagn5, I have to side with walker on this one, I have been doing handrails and 42" guard rails for 25 years without any major problems that I can think of.

I would have to say based on the type of work I do, That hand rails are minimal risk if done right.

I'm charging anywhere from $65.00 - $ 125.00 per ft. depending on how much they need.

Tryagn5, I do have to agree that most people wont pay that so I try to pre-qualify them over the phone before I will even look at the job because a lot of people think that its a #300.00 job.

I wont even look at a residential rail unless they are willing to spend at least
    $ 1,200 and thats just the 2 rails going down 2 steps.
    Would you mind posting some of the 125 per ft jobs you do so I could get an idea of what it looks like?

Thanks
    syncrowave 250
    millermatic 140 with spool gun
    350 dully with 225
    spectrum 375
    lateral band saw
    14in vertical band saw
    14in cold cut saw
    and now a 24x40 shop

ALL THE STUFF I HAVE BUILT

www.facebook.com/studiostevens

A forged twist (localized, not a twisted picket), and a forged top detail ( simple taper or flame)will put you at $125 a foot pretty easy. Solid steel pickets, especially 5/8" or 3/4" gets spendy fast as well. To figure it out, just take the base price for you plain 90$ fence, and add in each detail times 3. You can get an idea of the price difference per picket by looking in the King catalog. I do all of my own forge work, so there is also that totally unique/custom aspect to every job.
    Last edited by walker; 03-05-2014 at 06:09 AM.