Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: fencing

Default fencing

So I bid on a fence today it's 200ft long 45" high nothing fancy. Everything powder coated and material is all 1 1/4 inch. I bid at 82 per linear foot. Which is my usual rate nobody has complained thus far. So my question is what's your guys avg rate per foot on fencing. I've been doing this for years and this was my biggest complaint on price.
    Syncrowave 250
    Millermatic 210
    dialarc 250
    spectrum 375x
    trailblazer 302
    Lincoln 135

I do very little cheap fence, but when I do it is about $90lf. There is a guy here doing pool fence for $15lf. I don't know what would posses him to do it for that low a price.

That's what I'm saying. I just did hand rails for 120fl. Thanks for the input. How the **** do you do 15. That would cost him money
    Syncrowave 250
    Millermatic 210
    dialarc 250
    spectrum 375x
    trailblazer 302
    Lincoln 135

Quote Originally Posted by strictlycarved View Post
    So I bid on a fence today it's 200ft long 45" high nothing fancy. Everything powder coated and material is all 1 1/4 inch. I bid at 82 per linear foot. Which is my usual rate nobody has complained thus far. So my question is what's your guys avg rate per foot on fencing. I've been doing this for years and this was my biggest complaint on price.
    To me it says more about the customer than you...if that is the going rate.
    MillerMatic 211 Auto-set w/MVP
    Just For Home Projects.

That's what I'm saying. I just did hand rails for 120fl. Thanks for the input. How the **** do you do 15. That would cost him money
    You go in partners with some other guys and buy a container load from China. They can make good money at $15.00 per foot when you think they're basically buying sheets and sending two know nothings out with 110 volt flux core migs and a portaband.

Pool companies do it all the time, so do fence companies. Clients see black iron and know it is wrought iron that's good enough for them.

One of my favorite stories involves the client that calls me up for a gate repair. I ask what the problem is. "That lil finger looking latch thing broke off the gate. How much to weld it back on?"

"I have a $200.00 minimum on those kinds of repairs sir."

"Bad word Bad word and more bad words, I didn't pay that much for the gate."

nuff said.

Using 1" sq and 1/2" sq .o49 tube it can be done. He must use cheap paint too. It cost me about $10 a foot for materials using 1 1/4 065 with 1/2" 065 sq. I only know that because I ended up bidding some as a favor to a friend. Ten bucks a foot for materials, ten for making it, and ten a foot to install, so 30 a foot is as low as I would go, and that for a friend.

Default fencing

I think this guy will come back it's for a commercial property. And one of the other local guys called me to ask about it. He knew that I had bid
    Syncrowave 250
    Millermatic 210
    dialarc 250
    spectrum 375x
    trailblazer 302
    Lincoln 135

Any pictures of the finished job?
    syncrowave 250
    millermatic 140 with spool gun
    350 dully with 225
    spectrum 375
    lateral band saw
    14in vertical band saw
    14in cold cut saw
    and now a 24x40 shop

ALL THE STUFF I HAVE BUILT

www.facebook.com/studiostevens

Default stopped bidding it

I flatout wont bid railings, or fences. First its nearly a waste of time as few people are willing to pay for quality, the work that is done is horrible, cheap product, unskilled labor, and poor installation. I to have been asked to fix what the installers do, and normally charge a premium, as it annoyes me when people take the lowest bid, then want the lowest bid to fix it! Plus fences and railed are an insurance liability.
    Kevin
    XMT 304
    Miller Spectrum 625
    Miller 30a spool gun
    S22a
    Miller Legend 302
    Lincoln LN25
    Ford f450 Maintainer Srv Truck

Quote Originally Posted by Tryagn5 View Post
    Plus fences and railed are an insurance liability.
    Kevin
    Everything is an insurance liability. Get good insurance and stop worrying about it.