Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Miller Mic-4 adapter

I may be asking for the moon here, but i'm trying to hunt down a Miller Mic-4 interface. Miller quit making them, and i haven't found any aftermarket suppliers who have marketed them, which leaves 2nd hand old/used as the remaining option. Hoping to find someone on here who would be willing to part with one. Please let me know. Thanks

Question

Quote Originally Posted by McDaniel8402 View Post
    I may be asking for the moon here, but i'm trying to hunt down a Miller Mic-4 interface. Miller quit making them, and i haven't found any aftermarket suppliers who have marketed them, which leaves 2nd hand old/used as the remaining option. Hoping to find someone on here who would be willing to part with one. Please let me know. Thanks
    Am not totally clear where you are headed with this but here is a link to the manual...

http://www.millerwelds.com/om/o874d_mil.pdf

From what I am seeing... it does not appear to interface with the now current Miller 14 pin interface .... which would give you access to a variety of finger and foot controls...

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

Quote Originally Posted by H80N View Post
    Am not totally clear where you are headed with this but here is a link to the manual...

http://www.millerwelds.com/om/o874d_mil.pdf

From what I am seeing... it does not appear to interface with the now current Miller 14 pin interface .... which would give you access to a variety of finger and foot controls...
    I'm confident that somebody, somewhere has a dialarc HF running with fingertip tig torch control. The old Mic-4 adapter was used to run fingertip controls. I'm not sure that a modern fingertip control will work with the mic-4, but if not, than i'll also be hunting for some old style finger tip controls. When i spoke to Miller directly, i was told that the finger tip controls use a very small control circuit current. The old foot pedals used a control circuit of about 5 amps. The mic-4 interface served as an amplifier to step up the very low control circuit current from the fingertip control up to the (approximately) 5 amps that the DialArc machine operates on.

Thumbs up

All depends on how much time and effort you are willing to focus on the problem...

You sound pretty determined..

So...Keep us posted.. and Good Luck..!!...

Could always whip up a PWM circuit to change the duty cycle of the 30vdc into the Mag-Amp and it's saturation...
    Pretty basic electronics.. but more effort than my lazy old bones would put into it..
    Last edited by H80N; 11-19-2013 at 08:06 AM.

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 200

I think I saw one on Norfolk Craigslist a few weeks back, but I don't see it now. Use Searchtempest and keep looking.

Also check/ask on weldingweb.com. 3 months ago, there was a MIC-4 for $600. But it also included a very clean Dialarc HF-P, foot control, torch with hand control and a cooler!

http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php...ale&highlight=
    Last edited by USMCPOP; 11-19-2013 at 09:47 AM.
    Miller stuff:
    Dialarc 250 (1974)
    Syncrowave 250 (1992)
    Spot welder (Dayton badged)

Quote Originally Posted by USMCPOP View Post
    I think I saw one on Norfolk Craigslist a few weeks back, but I don't see it now. Use Searchtempest and keep looking.

Also check/ask on weldingweb.com. 3 months ago, there was a MIC-4 for $600. But it also included a very clean Dialarc HF-P, foot control, torch with hand control and a cooler!

http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php...ale&highlight=
    $600 was one HECK of a deal for all that was being sold. I bought my DialArc HF from a friend who was never going to use it. It came with foot pedal, water cooler unit, water cooled torch. I paid $330 to have the machine shipped from central Florida to southeast Houston, TX. Shipping cost me more than the welder it self. Its kinda funny when i ask welding stores and repair shops about the MIC-4. The response from all of them has been "hmmm, never heard of that before...". I really don't understand why none of the after market guys picked it up. I have a brochure with a general diagram/schematic of the interface. There isn't much to it, but none of the values/sizes of the components are listed, just a layout. And so i keep hunting...
    Last edited by McDaniel8402; 11-20-2013 at 08:21 AM.

Smile

$600 was one HECK of a deal for all that was being sold. I bought my DialArc HF from a friend who was never going to use it. It came with foot pedal, water cooler unit, water cooled torch. I paid $330 to have the machine shipped from central Florida to southeast Houston, TX. Shipping cost me more than the welder it self. Its kinda funny when i ask welding stores and repair shops about the MIC-4. The response from all of them has been "hmmm, never heard of that before...". I really don't understand why none of the after market guys picked it up. I have a brochure with a general diagram/schematic of the interface. There isn't much to it, but none of the values/sizes of the components are listed, just a layout. And so i keep hunting...
    The unit is long out of production... there must be a service/technical manual with a complete schematic and parts list with all the values and industry part numbers...

Probably too old to be considered a secret...

So.... maybe Cruizer or one of the Miller techs could post it...??..
    and you could breadboard your own personal copy??

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 200

Default Miller MIC-4 diagram and parts BOM

Quote Originally Posted by H80N View Post
    The unit is long out of production... there must be a service/technical manual with a complete schematic and parts list with all the values and industry part numbers...

Probably too old to be considered a secret...

So.... maybe Cruizer or one of the Miller techs could post it...??..
    and you could breadboard your own personal copy??
    As of this morning, i now have both! Yeehaw!!! One step closer. I'm not sure how to attach the pdf files, but i'd be happy to share them with anyone who wants them.

Thumbs up

As of this morning, i now have both! Yeehaw!!! One step closer. I'm not sure how to attach the pdf files, but i'd be happy to share them with anyone who wants them.
    That is great!!

Keep us posted on the project...

BTW.. PDF files can be attached under the "Manage Attachments" command when you either start or edit an entry.. (Advanced)...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 200

Default Update!

I got a MIC-4 on order from Ebay. There was a cheap one with damaged cords (easily repairable), but someone out bid me in the final 2 seconds of the auction. I settled for another one, "buy it now" for $60 + shipping. Not too bad, considering they are hard to find. There is one more on the "buy it now" if anyone is interested. Just go to ebay, and type in "Miller MIC-4". I can either get a controller with 5 pin, or get a 5 pin / 14 pin adapter and use a 14 pin torch controller. Would work fine either way.