Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums
 
Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    157

    Default millermatic 252 settings cards

    To the 252 owners;

    Do you find the settings charts on the front of the machine to be generally on the cold side?

    Running
    ER70S-6 wire 0.035
    CO2
    1/2 second pre-flow
    2 second post flow

    Should I be using the thickness gauge tool instead?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    2,888

    Default

    The charts are just suggested starting points- adjust as needed.
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    28

    Default

    Straight CO2 will have different settings than 75/25

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    197

    Default

    Yes, straight C02 runs hotter than the settings shown on the cards. I welded some 1/2" 1018 plates on a bevel joint recently. The settings were shown as 29.5 V (basically wide open) and 5i5 IPM on wire speed. I tried that and had to back down to 26 volts add 450 IPM and that was fine with .035 wire.

    I think the settings would be very close with 75/25 gas.
    Miller Syncrowave 200
    Milermatic 252
    Lincoln AC/DC "Tombstone"

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    157

    Default millermatic 252 settings cards

    Yup I did use the recommended settings for CO2 and noticed I needed to up the voltage.

    Thanks for the feedback

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    197

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ericher69 View Post
    Yup I did use the recommended settings for CO2 and noticed I needed to up the voltage.

    Thanks for the feedback
    Sorry, you misunderstood. CO2 runs hotter. Therefore it was necessary to lower the voltage.
    Miller Syncrowave 200
    Milermatic 252
    Lincoln AC/DC "Tombstone"

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ericher69 View Post
    To the 252 owners;

    Do you find the settings charts on the front of the machine to be generally on the cold side?

    Running
    ER70S-6 wire 0.035
    CO2
    1/2 second pre-flow
    2 second post flow

    Should I be using the thickness gauge tool instead?
    The charts are way off
    Miller Dynasty 700
    Miller Dynasty 200
    Miller 350p
    Miler 252
    Hypertherm 1250
    Hobart Handler 187
    Lincoln 210
    Practical cnc

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    157

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Synchroman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ericher69 View Post
    Yup I did use the recommended settings for CO2 and noticed I needed to up the voltage.

    Thanks for the feedback
    Sorry, you misunderstood. CO2 runs hotter. Therefore it was necessary to lower the voltage.
    It may be the case for you but I've found so far the chart is cold even with CO2 therefore I've had to raise voltage

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Wa
    Posts
    587

    Default

    What length stick out are you running?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    46

    Default millermatic 252 settings cards

    I always go up in settings by a gauge if welding 1/4" I use settings for 3/8" and so on running .035 with 75/25

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/footer.inc.php on line 82

Welding Projects

Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.