Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Syncrowave SD 180 no high frequency

Folks -
    Trying to troubleshoot my old (LA 081331) SD 180. I get no HF just a little (1/8 in spark) and thats it at the torch. When I checked the spark gaps, one of them was shorted - Probably had some grit blown into it. Readjusted the gap and now nothing at the Spark Gaps of 0.012. I checked T3 without power and get continuity at the primary side and 6K ohm on the secondary (That seems a bit high to me). The cap shows open but I can't check to see if its working. Continuity on T4 windings seems good. The foot switch (switch and 1K pot) is working as well. I can hear gas come on when i hit the foot switch and there is current at the torch (spark when i hit the electrode to the work material)

Anyone have any ideas?

cheers,
    -jim

Question

Quote Originally Posted by jim.2435074 View Post
    Folks -
    Trying to troubleshoot my old (LA 081331) SD 180. I get no HF just a little (1/8 in spark) and thats it at the torch. When I checked the spark gaps, one of them was shorted - Probably had some grit blown into it. Readjusted the gap and now nothing at the Spark Gaps of 0.012. I checked T3 without power and get continuity at the primary side and 6K ohm on the secondary (That seems a bit high to me). The cap shows open but I can't check to see if its working. Continuity on T4 windings seems good. The foot switch (switch and 1K pot) is working as well. I can hear gas come on when i hit the foot switch and there is current at the torch (spark when i hit the electrode to the work material)

Anyone have any ideas?

cheers,
    -jim
    I would pull the covers and blow it out with compressed air...

you likely have HV leakage from dust accumulation/carbon tracking..

Have you had the HF set to continuios with the covers off in a dark room??..

you might be able to see the blue corona of the HV leakage paths...

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

Quote Originally Posted by H80N View Post
    I would pull the covers and blow it out with compressed air...

you likely have HV leakage from dust accumulation/carbon tracking..

Have you had the HF set to continuios with the covers off in a dark room??..

you might be able to see the blue corona of the HV leakage paths...
    Yeah I did blow the machine out, and did a quick look for a high voltage spark leak in a near-dark garage ... did not see or hear anything ... Will do it again and pay more attention this time.

Does 6K ohm seem right for T3 secondary? that seems a bit high for a coil winding to me.

cheers,
    -jim

Yeah I did blow the machine out, and did a quick look for a high voltage spark leak in a near-dark garage ... did not see or hear anything ... Will do it again and pay more attention this time.

Does 6K ohm seem right for T3 secondary? that seems a bit high for a coil winding to me.

cheers,
    -jim
    Thanks to the friendly folks at BR Welding Supplies White Plains MD, I was able to get some data on the SD180.
    1. The 6K ohm on T3 secondary was correct.
    2. looked for an HV leak and didn't find it - But did not expect to cause
    3. No 120V on T3 primary when I hit the remote pedal (reads 0V AC) - which is kinda weird cause I can sometimes get a small spark on the spark gaps / torch

Gonna start working my way up to the main board and look for 120V ... Anyone have any ideas?

cheers,
    -jim

Thanks to the friendly folks at BR Welding Supplies White Plains MD, I was able to get some data on the SD180.
    1. The 6K ohm on T3 secondary was correct.
    2. looked for an HV leak and didn't find it - But did not expect to cause
    3. No 120V on T3 primary when I hit the remote pedal (reads 0V AC) - which is kinda weird cause I can sometimes get a small spark on the spark gaps / torch

Gonna start working my way up to the main board and look for 120V ... Anyone have any ideas?

cheers,
    -jim
    I believe many Miller technicians have recommended HF points gap be at .008"
    instead of the manual spec of .012".
    Probably can find this recommendation with a search on this forum.

Griff

OK, This is the excuse I was looking for.

No 120V power to T3 from the main board. A replacement board is almost as much as the resale value of the machine. Will take my time / chances and look at the main board, but in the mean time ...

I have ordered a Dynasty 280DX from Oxygen Supply Company (aka BR welding) in White Plains, MD. More Welding Power, less current draw, light weight and lots of bells and whistles!

cheers,
    -jim